help newbie buying first Mac - rMBP 13: IR test and other tips needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lorcar, Mar 3, 2013.

1. lorcar macrumors member

hi everyone, first time poster here
    always used pc in my life, i cant stand it anymore, so i am ready to pull the trigger but since I still dont know if I like it and since I am an excel heavy user I am a bit scared of dropping so much money. I was thinking of getting a used one, I found some 13 retina activated last month, and I am here to ask your opinions and help

1- test of Image Retention on 13rMPB? I read all previous threads, and it seems the code (where after it gives you LG or samsung) applies to 15rMBP only. Is there a test for 13 rmbp?
    I asked the seller to perform the test, and he said this is what appears
    Last login: Sat Mar 2 11:45:52 on ttys000
    MacBook-Pro:~ macbookpro13$ ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
    @.`0 6
    Color LCD

2- some suggested not to get the Retina, but try the Air, because Retina it's too new, and the 4 G additional in Ram are mainly used to operate/power the terrific screen, so I woulnd't be able to enjoy them. And in term of performance Air and 13 rMBP are very similar. What do you think?

3- I always thought Mac do NOT crash or stall or become sluggish. I spoke with friends who have been Mac users for years, and they said that it crashes as well from time to time. Is that true???

thanks really a lot in advance

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Only answer the third question.

3. They do crash but rare, it's called a kernel panic and you'll see a window appear which says you need to restart the computer.
    These are sometimes cause by conflicts, they happen, there are no OSes which do not crash.
    Macs do not get slower overtime, if they do it's most likely running out of RAM, buy more, and when it is software related which is extremely rare the cause can always be found with the help of Apps like Activity Monitor and asking here on MR.

3. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

The screen uses 768MB RAM from intel HD 5000. The HD 4000 is used on all macs and uses upto 768 MB RAM on macs. This is used to power the screen and any graphic intensive tasks. So regardless of the mac you buy, the RAM used to power the display will be the smae (May vary by upto 256MB)

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Bold, that's new.:p

Not ALL Macs have HD 4000 GPU's!

5. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

All current gen macs do, correction sorry!

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No, not true, screenshot of iMac GPU specs.

Current iMacs and MacPros don't have for instance.

Attached Files:

7. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

LOL. the iMac auto switches between the intel HD 4000 and the GPU depending on usage, for example day to day tasks dont need GPU, so I4000 whereas a game like COD would need GPU performance.

yes Mac Pros dont have the Intel HD 4000 but how many of us use a mac pro, its a fail (I am sorry apple) and it is hardly CURRENT GEN when compared IBMs in the same class.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You are wrong, look here:

On EveryMac

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.7-21-inch-aluminum-late-2012-specs.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.9-21-inch-aluminum-late-2012-specs.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i7-3.1-21-inch-aluminum-late-2012-specs.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.9-27-inch-aluminum-late-2012-specs.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-3.2-27-inch-aluminum-late-2012-specs.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i7-3.4-27-inch-aluminum-late-2012-specs.html

And in Mactracker it says the same.

Oh, and even if the iMacs do have the 4000 that still make you wrong, and the MacPro is current, you said ALL which is not true.Fact.

9. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/23/2969123/intel-ivy-bridge-review-roundup

All intel ivy bridge processors come with a I4000

----------

All macs running Ivy bridge have I4000 (Correction sorry :D)

10. lorcar thread starter macrumors member

so i just read this

You’ll also notice some general lag when you start multitasking heavily. Open more than a few tabs and apps and you’ll start to notice things slowing down around the system as a whole. My standard workday set of 15-20 tabs open in Chrome, music playing in Spotify, email and IRC open, and Skype, iPhoto, and Messages running in the background never pegged the CPU meter, but I could clearly feel the system running just a hair behind me. You might not notice it if you’re coming from an Air or a much older MacBook, but I’m used to my 15-inch Pro with 2.3GHz Core i7 and Radeon HD 6750M graphics, and and the 13-inch Retina is definitely a little slower. If you’re a pro looking to step down to a smaller machine, you’ll almost certainly notice the performance dropoff as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/1/3585082/13-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review

and I am seriously thinking of not getting it
    basically
    1- i dont know if I should switch to apple or not
    2- i dont know if an Air it's enough, i dont know if the Retina is worth it (i read the web is not yet retina-ready, so you see blurry images)

back to square one, retina vs air i guess...

11. justperry, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Your link says nothing about iMacs having their HD4000 enabled, I did a search with google and google images (System Profiler) and I can't find anything that will prove what you say is true, come up with Pictures of an iMac with their HD 4000 enabled in System Profiler and then I'll believe you.

No matter what, the fact is not all macs have HD4000.

Edit: Yes, all Ivy Bridge have HD integrated, yet I am not sure they are used on the iMacs.

Edit again: I gladly accept defeat if it's proven to be on.:)

12. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

They are used on the iMacs, I do remember reading it somewhere, it isused on the MBP to save power, so it must be so on the imac. The constant use of GPU for background tasks is useless and only wastes power!

13. lorcar thread starter macrumors member

does that imply i'd be better off with an Air instead?

14. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Oh no, I am really sorry for going off topic, we were engaged in a debate whether or not the imac uses Intel HD 4000

----------

I really could not anything about finding out about the how to find the screen manufacturer on the 13 rMBP.
    You can run a Bleed test if you want on a Mac to test the screen quality and you can return it based on that.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1551202

15. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

I was hesitant of getting a Retina MBP because of the things I've read, and was also comparing against an Air.
    I say buy the Retina, and if YOU find it doesn't fit your needs return it and get the Air.
    I bought the 13" Retina as my first Mac and have no regrets, its fast and have had no issues so far!

16. Modernape macrumors regular

1. Don't bother - the 13" doesn't seem to have the issue like the 15" does. The huge thread on discussions.apple.com is 99% full of 15" owners.

2. As stated already -the HD 4000 uses 768 MB RAM. The Air has a slower CPU, but you would only really notice that on video rendering or similar intensive tasks.

3. Generally Macs don't crash, mine never has in six months of use. But there's always a first time.

That review from the Verge was rather unfair, in that he tested the machine at the 1400x900 setting, which is non-optimal for performance. If you want smooth graphics performance, you probably have to accept the 1280x800 setting, which is gorgeous as far as I'm concerned. And they're about to release 10.8.3 which will tweak the graphics drivers even more no doubt.

I'm very happy with mine, and I would NOT be happy if it felt underpowered.

17. justperry, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The Terminal Command is: (For finding which display it has)

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

LSN = Samsung
    LP = Philips
    (LW = On my old powerbook LG)

Btw, for our earlier debate, I would be stupid for Apple to switch off the HD 4000 GPU, but what I find incomprehensible is that they don't mention those specs.
    For low power needs the discrete GPU is not needed, therefore it is better to switch to the HD 4000

18. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Exactly, my point! :D

The terminal command works only with rmbp 15 not 13.

19. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It works on my old powerbook, which is from 2005, it does not work on the Mac Mini, now that is odd isn't it.;)