Help! No Destination volume available on my Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jessecam, Oct 25, 2008.

1. jessecam macrumors newbie

Recently, my macbook shut down and now when I try to boot it back up I get a blank grey screen. I booted from disk to archive/install but when I get to the "Select destination volume" step there is no disk to choose from. This is the same when i go into disk utility, the only option I have is the install CD. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Is all the information on my hard drive lost?

Thanks,
    Jesse

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

More than likely your hard drive is failing or has failed - if you don't have a backup then I am afraid that you will have lost your files....

It is a 5 minute job to replace the hard drive on your MacBook with a new one.

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Can you hear any clicking from the palm rest area when it is sitting on the grey screen? If so, that means HD failure. You will have to get a new HD. Try to get an external case for your old HD and if someone has DiskWarrior you can try to restore some info, or you can buy DW for $99. It may not work, but it's a try.

If there is clicking on the HD it is safe to assume that nothing will get the info back.

Sorry.. :(

Edit: I should have said in the first paragraph that if you don't hear any clicking then go get DiskWarrior.