Help: no "destination volume" found with new HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sbornia, Dec 12, 2007.

1. sbornia macrumors member

Hi all,

Last week several of you pointed me in the right direction to repairing my dropped G4 PB. I ordered a replacement HDD from OWC, downloaded step-by-step instructions from fixit.com, and got all the right tools.

Just finished what a thought was a successful install of the new HDD, and started to install Tiger. Everything's went fine through the first few screens, until I was asked to select a destination volume for the OS....but there were none to be selected.

Does this mean (cringing, expecting the answer) that I have damaged something beyond the HDD? Not sure what to do as a next step, beyond taking the machine to a shop that will charge me hundreds to check it out.

What say you? How f'd am I -- or is there hope?

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Did you format the drive properly? When you boot from the disk, you need to go into Utilities > Disk Utility. From there select the drive, click partition, and then options. There should be an option to make the drive an apple bootable drive (2nd one down I believe). The fact that your computer is booting this far is a good sign.

3. sbornia thread starter macrumors member

Doh! Never been through this process before, so thank you! Tiger is now installed, and two years worth of updates are being downloaded. Machine seems to be running very well so far. Thanks again!!