Help!: No internet in my MBP, please help me troubleshoot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Dec 13, 2010.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

There's internet in my main windows PC, but no more internet in either MacBookPro or my iPod touch. I have NOT made any changes to any setting in my router or computers. How do I start troubleshooting this issue?

Your help will be really appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. miata macrumors 6502

How are you connected to the network -- ethernet or WIFI? If WIFI how do you have it configured?

4. doxavita, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010

doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I reboot, no luck

---------

I'm connected through Wi-Fi, Everything has been fine for many months, then suddenly today it stopped working. Did I get hacked or something? My iPod touch does not access internet either. My Cisco Connect software says only 1 device is connected, yet when I try to add my Mac back, it won`t detect it...... In my mac it does detect my Network's name, but when I type in the correct password, I get a connection timeout..

Anybody?

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I think the first diagnostic in this situation is to click on the airport icon in the menubar, click on "Open Network Preferences", then click on "Assist Me", and finally click "Diagnostics". Go through the diagnostics and see if it gives you anything.

6. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I went through the diagnostics, and I get: Unable to Join AirPort Network: "This computer was unable to join the AirPort network you selected. You may have entered an incorrect password or network name, chosen the wrong type of wireless security, or you may be out of range of the base station. To change your previous choices click Go Back."

How can this be? Like I said I never made any changes to anything at all.

7. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Please help, what should I do now?

Should I try to change my password?

8. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Hmm...Even though YOU haven't changed anything, doesn't necessarily mean something didn't get changed. I would go into the router and double check your settings at this point, and then try diagnostics again.

9. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did, the Cisco Connect software is telling me it still has the same password and network name it has always had

10. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. miata macrumors 6502

You may want to try to delete the current network settings and re-enter them.

12. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I wouldn't go that far. Have you checked your Console logs for anything suspicious?

Also, have you tried going into Network Preferences under Advanced, and removing the network from the list of Preferred networks, then manually re-enterring your password?

13. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Check all your connected devices' IP addresses just in case there are any conflicts and check them against your router's DHCP IP table.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Heaven's no.

Try bringing the laptop to a cafe that offers free internet. You can see if you can connect there, or better yet, if you have the ability to hook directly into the router at home, instead of using wifi.

Sounds like your mac is not authenticating correctly, either because the password was changed or some issue with the configuration within your mac.

Checking the console logs is also a good idea.

15. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, right now I'm asking for help through the LinkSys wireless router forum. I'll let you know guys if I need further help.

How do I check console logs for anything suspicious?

I'm not to knowledgable regarding those technical solutions you kindly provided me.

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

17. dime21 macrumors 6502

If the Internet fell out of your MBP, you might need to reinstall it. If that doesn't work, I suggest buying a new Internet, or perhaps upgrading to Internet 2.

But seriously, if you aren't very tech savvy, you probably bought your linksys wireless router, took it out of the box, and just started using it. A common mistake. The default configuration is insecure, and has a standard default password that everyone knows. If you live in an apartment building or other densely populated area, it's likely that someone took control of your device and changed the password.

18. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Man, phew, what a day!!

I contacted linksys support, and they guided me through plenty of steps. I reset my router, had to "clone MAC address", had to change network securities, passwords, change the channel frequency, lots of things, even my xbox 360 settings!. it seems it works now.

The strangest thing is that this happened suddenly, never messed with any setting at all, someone must have done something to my password, although it told me it was still the same one!

I really hope this doesn't happen again on another day.

19. dime21 macrumors 6502

How old is your linksys wireless router? If it's an older one using the wireless 'B' standard, it very well might happen again. The wireless 'B' standard is so insecure, it's comical. The encryption can be broken in a matter of minutes.

If you have a newer wireless 'G' or 'N' standard router, you should be fine.

20. doxavita, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a Linksys E1000 Wireless N-Router. For the mac side I would get "connection timeout" not "invalid password", any ideas what happened there?