Help: No internet No DNS error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jedi5, May 28, 2016.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

For some reason, I lost my internet connection. All was good this AM, stepped out and when I returned, no internet. I got the No DNS error on my AE.

I have Apple Extreme A1354 and Motorola Surfboard SB6121.

I've searched and searched, I've reset and powered off/on everything but still can't get anything to work.

Can someone please give me a step by step of what I should do. I think I followed the step by steps of what I found, but those instructions didn't work.

How would I know if the router or modem is bad?

Thanks

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Can you get internet if you plug a computer directly into the modem using ethernet?
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2016 ---
    Also, can you connect with the AE using Airport Utility?

3. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

I've tried plugging directly into cable modem and no luck.

Not sure I understand the 2nd question.

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816

If you can't get internet when plugged directly into the modem, you need to give your ISP a call.
    The Airport Utility is the app used to set up the Airport Extreme. It should be in /Applications/Utilities

5. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

yes I used the utility when I reset the router. That didn't work either.

I have xfinity and when I logged onto my account, it didn't show any outages.
    That's why I haven't called.
    I wanted to make sure it wasn't a simple reset before I called

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Unplug the Surfboard for about 10 minutes then plug it in, wait for it to boot up and see if things work again. If not, call xFinity.

7. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Called provider and they are sending a tech out. My modem is showing offline.
    Went out and bought a new modem to see if maybe that would work, Nothing.

Now I wait till Tuesday for the tech to come out.

Oh well

Thanks everyone

8. chscag macrumors 68000

Outages like that can drive you crazy. I had a similar thing happen to me and when the tech came out he found that a Texas critter had chewed through the outside coax which brings the signal into the modem-router. If you're able, check the connections and cables coming into your home.

9. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

This is definitely an ISP issue, which can be maddening. I had the same thing with Charter in our area when I lived just outside of town. They were having some issues with the node in my neighborhood and it took them almost three months to fix, so I can totally feel your pain. Hopefully the tech was able to find the problem for you!

10. chscag macrumors 68000

Ah yes, Charter. :mad: I don't ever remember worse service than what I received from Charter. Totally unacceptable. We are now on FIOS which is a bit pricey but the service and bandwidth are great.

11. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I know, I wish we had FIOS in my area. Unfortunately, our fiber infrastructure is just in its infancy right now in Big Sky country. Luckily I live right next to our local Charter headquarters, so my service is pretty awesome now.