Help: No internet No DNS error

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
For some reason, I lost my internet connection. All was good this AM, stepped out and when I returned, no internet. I got the No DNS error on my AE.

I have Apple Extreme A1354 and Motorola Surfboard SB6121.

I've searched and searched, I've reset and powered off/on everything but still can't get anything to work.

Can someone please give me a step by step of what I should do. I think I followed the step by steps of what I found, but those instructions didn't work.

How would I know if the router or modem is bad?

Thanks

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Can you get internet if you plug a computer directly into the modem using ethernet?
[doublepost=1464478424][/doublepost]Also, can you connect with the AE using Airport Utility?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
If you can't get internet when plugged directly into the modem, you need to give your ISP a call.
The Airport Utility is the app used to set up the Airport Extreme. It should be in /Applications/Utilities

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
yes I used the utility when I reset the router. That didn't work either.

I have xfinity and when I logged onto my account, it didn't show any outages.
That's why I haven't called.
I wanted to make sure it wasn't a simple reset before I called

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Called provider and they are sending a tech out. My modem is showing offline.
Went out and bought a new modem to see if maybe that would work, Nothing.

Now I wait till Tuesday for the tech to come out.

Oh well

Thanks everyone

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Called provider and they are sending a tech out. My modem is showing offline.
Went out and bought a new modem to see if maybe that would work, Nothing.

Now I wait till Tuesday for the tech to come out.

Oh well

Thanks everyone
Outages like that can drive you crazy. I had a similar thing happen to me and when the tech came out he found that a Texas critter had chewed through the outside coax which brings the signal into the modem-router. If you're able, check the connections and cables coming into your home.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
This is definitely an ISP issue, which can be maddening. I had the same thing with Charter in our area when I lived just outside of town. They were having some issues with the node in my neighborhood and it took them almost three months to fix, so I can totally feel your pain. Hopefully the tech was able to find the problem for you!

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Ah yes, Charter. :mad: I don't ever remember worse service than what I received from Charter. Totally unacceptable. We are now on FIOS which is a bit pricey but the service and bandwidth are great.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
Ah yes, Charter. :mad: I don't ever remember worse service than what I received from Charter. Totally unacceptable. We are now on FIOS which is a bit pricey but the service and bandwidth are great.
I know, I wish we had FIOS in my area. Unfortunately, our fiber infrastructure is just in its infancy right now in Big Sky country. Luckily I live right next to our local Charter headquarters, so my service is pretty awesome now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.