Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genexrocket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I recently bought the new MBP yesterday and tried installing windows XP on it using boot camp, during the middle of the installation process, i exited the application where it asks you to choose the correct partition, because it did not seem to show the "C:partition3<BOOTCAMP>[FAT32]." Well, it rebooted, and all it shows now is a blank screen with a blinking cursor and the xp cd is stuck inside!!! Help!!! Please I'm freaking out!! I've only had this computer for less than a day....

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Don't freak out... You can reinstall OSX with the disks that came with your Mac. Put in the first disk and restart your computer. You'll be fine.

genexrocket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Okay, so I inserted the disc and got to the setup screen, now nothing shows up in "Select a Destination" and when I go to Disk Utility to erase/restore the harddrive, the buttons are blocked out. any help??

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Well, thats a bit different. If you are where I think you are, you may be looking at some kind of hardware issue. You might want to contact Apple Care or taking it back to where you bought it.

Macbook noob

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
have you tried pressing alt while the computer is booting up? this should show you the mac side of the partition and then you can log onto it. I did the same thing as you and thats how i fixed it for myself.

genexrocket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Sigh, I called Apple care and after about 1/2 an hour, made an appointment with the genius bar, looks like I've got the first faulty MBP...:( The guy said, it's a harddrive failure/crash

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.