Help - No OSX disk, Windows Support Software

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by usamuun, Aug 20, 2011.

1. usamuun macrumors newbie

I know there are a million threads similar to this, but please read:

Okay. So. I'm trying to install Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro OS 10.6.8 with Boot Camp 3.0 (no matter how many times I click Software Update). I do not have my OSX installation disk with me, and all of the standard instructions I have read say that I need both the disk and Boot Camp 3.1 or higher. I tried getting help from other forums, and I was told that I am able to use 3.0 and simply get the 3.1 .exe file after-the-fact without issue. With that knowledge, I went out and purchased Windows 7 and planned on using the Boot Camp option to download the required Windows Support Software. After stalling out for about 20 minutes, it gives me an error message saying "Windows Support Software Is Unavailable." While trying to find out what to do next, I found related posts in these forums. Others have suggested downloading the drivers manually, providing this link ( http://swscan.apple.com/content/cata...ed-1.sucatalog ), but it just shows up as a script for me and I don't know what to do with it. Others suggested doing some sort of voodoo with the Mac ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=892725 ) that I don't understand. If you are able to help, please put things into layman's terms. I've never attempted anything like this before and am learning as I go.

At this point I am very close to giving up and heading to the nearest Geek Squad, but I'd much rather save the money.

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

1) When I click on that link I get a 404; might be my friend's internet though. It's pretty flaky from time to time.

2) Try downloading the files from somewhere else? And make sure the computer is completely up to date before doing anything.

3) You can always buy SL disks from the Apple store and I just used those instead of going the download route.

4) The drivers themselves actually add multitouch (two finger) support and allow you to use the default buttons at the top where the F keys are.

All in all, if you go through the motions without the software, you should be able to get W7 actually running... but I wouldn't put money on that.