Help!!!! No Sound From Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RMferrer, Dec 21, 2007.

1. RMferrer macrumors member

okay my phone is less than 3 weeks old. It was fine yesterday before i turned it off at work. Now this morning when i went to turn it on, i cant hear anything out of the phone's ear piece and ppl can't hear me when i answer their calls. The wierd thing is when it's on speaker it's fine. It won't play music or anything.

my phone is not hacked or unlocked, modded or anything. Completely stock. Should i just go to apple??

2. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Before it stopped working, were you using your headphones?

If so, this is a known bug/deficiency for the iPhone. The phone thinks that your headphones are still plugged in. To fix, take your headphones and rapidly plug/unplug them untill everything starts working normal.

Hope this helps, Happy Holidays!

3. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

now that you mention it..it was hooked up to my belkin cassette adapter while i was driving. i'll try it out. Thanks a lot.

4. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

aaahhh...worked like a charm. Thanks!! is there to prevent this from happening again?

5. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

This happened to me too. I almost peed my pants because the phone was a day old. Unplugging and plugging back in worked for me too.

The only thing I can think of is to check that you're getting sound after unplugging each time. Just the sleep/wake button should tell you because it will click audibly or through the (now unplugged) headphones.

6. honeytoast macrumors regular

To prevent this make sure you pause your music before you unplug the headphones or tape adapter. You should step up to a car stereo with an ipod interface. You will not regret it, the sound quality on those tape adapters is terrible.

7. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

The main thing you can do to prevent it in the future is to just make sure you don't get dust and stuff in the plug, it can trap the switch that tells it the earbuds are pluggged in, which is what causes this problem.

8. djlazyboy macrumors newbie

aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!! no sound!

I just tried plugging and unplugging really fast with no result, when I did that the music would start to play without me double tapping the home button and selecting play or by opening the ipod app and pressing play.

BUT, I did play music and while the headphones where attached paused the music and then unplugged the headphones which solved MY iphone issue immediately.

so if the rapid plug/unplug doesnt work for you try my method of playing music while the headphones are inserted, pressing pause, and removing the headphones.

Good Luck!!!!

9. ront993 macrumors newbie

Another Fix I Don't know why it works.

I was able to fix a problem just like this by making a call then it worked, my 3g was less than a day old so I FREAKED when this happened :eek: but everything is fine for now:apple:

10. davross macrumors newbie

Same here I received some dodgy MMS ( also with video) then my audio packed up. Did the usual stuff but no good, made an outgoing call and hey presto good as new.

11. welysson macrumors newbie

I just solved this problem in my iPhone. Actually I didn't Need to plug/unplug the jack. The problem was in the dock input which I just cleaned up and the Sound started working normally again. I turned off the iPhone to clean it. I thought doing that would avoid short circuit.

12. Xlaurabutlerx macrumors newbie