Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photonewbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
hey all, could someone shed some light on this problem please.

I have a 20"/1.8GHz G5 iMac (no airport extreme card), bought when the were first models were produced roughly March 2005, Operating systems updates installed when nessacary since then. Airport extreme bought recently as were originally sold without and have been using ethernet cable till now.

The problem is, I have moved my Mac to the loft & am getting no signal what so ever but my wifes Mac (17' same model, bought March 2006) when taken to the loft the signal is received loud & clear, no problems.

hopefully its a duff airport card

any suggestions would be greatly appriciated

photonewbie

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Have you checked in Sytem Preferences to see if the card is showing up ?

Blue apple>About this Mac > More info , when the preferences pane opens , scroll down to Network and click on Airport ....

tell me what you see :)

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Try doing a PMU reset and PRAM reset. If that doesn't fix it, did you add the airport s/w that came with the card?

What OS are you running (version)?

You may be right that you have a bad airport card or you forgot to connect the antenna to it.

photonewbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
no signal etc

Thanks, the card is showing up in the System pref: It reads Airport Card & firmware all present & accounted for.

As for a signal closer to the base station, Yes there is a signal but is quite weak if at all,again this was tried with my wife's Mac next to it

thanks

pn

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Thanks, the card is showing up in the System pref: It reads Airport Card & firmware all present & accounted for.

As for a signal closer to the base station, Yes there is a signal but is quite weak if at all,again this was tried with my wife's Mac next to it

If it's not the antenna going to your airport card, then its likely the card itself.

photonewbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
no signal etc

Hello again, what is a PMU reset and PRAM rest & how would one do this?

It has also been suggested that I re-install the OS (Tiger)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.