Help. No Wireless signal in the loft???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by photonewbie, Jul 3, 2008.

1. photonewbie macrumors newbie

hey all, could someone shed some light on this problem please.

I have a 20"/1.8GHz G5 iMac (no airport extreme card), bought when the were first models were produced roughly March 2005, Operating systems updates installed when nessacary since then. Airport extreme bought recently as were originally sold without and have been using ethernet cable till now.

The problem is, I have moved my Mac to the loft & am getting no signal what so ever but my wifes Mac (17' same model, bought March 2006) when taken to the loft the signal is received loud & clear, no problems.

hopefully its a duff airport card

any suggestions would be greatly appriciated

photonewbie

2. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Have you checked in Sytem Preferences to see if the card is showing up ?

Blue apple>About this Mac > More info , when the preferences pane opens , scroll down to Network and click on Airport ....

tell me what you see :)

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Try doing a PMU reset and PRAM reset. If that doesn't fix it, did you add the airport s/w that came with the card?

What OS are you running (version)?

You may be right that you have a bad airport card or you forgot to connect the antenna to it.

4. ihabime macrumors 6502

Does it get reception closer to the base station? If so you want to make sure your antenna is properly connected, check this apple article for pics :
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108039

Also, I realize you're new here, but posting the same question in 2 forums within ten minutes isn't cool.

5. photonewbie thread starter macrumors newbie

no signal etc

Thanks, the card is showing up in the System pref: It reads Airport Card & firmware all present & accounted for.

As for a signal closer to the base station, Yes there is a signal but is quite weak if at all,again this was tried with my wife's Mac next to it

thanks

pn

6. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

If it's not the antenna going to your airport card, then its likely the card itself.

7. photonewbie thread starter macrumors newbie

no signal etc

Hello again, what is a PMU reset and PRAM rest & how would one do this?

It has also been suggested that I re-install the OS (Tiger)

8. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Reset PRAM : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379 this document will explain how .

If that doesn't work then try the OS reinstall , but tbh it looks like a hardware fault