Help... noob with a quick question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by joeking1978, Sep 30, 2008.

1. joeking1978 macrumors newbie

So I went out and bought a 16 gb ipod touch for my wife to use with Grad school. Her grad program records all seminars/lectures and also has online classes where she has to download presentations. I bought the touch for the additional $$$ because it has better video capabilities and I figured she could download the lectures (video and commentary) and sync them to the itouch and use the opportunity to go study somewhere other then the house all day (ie- beach).

...BUT...

it appears that apple has this ****ing ridiculously lame policy that prevents ANY video from being sync'd to the itouch unless it was purchased by the itunes store. It will let you play youtube vids... but you can't save them. So basically, the reason I bought- to play school vids... is ****ing pointless because it won't play them.

There has got to be a way to mod, or download softward to bypass this? Yes? For you bigtime Macbook people... how do I do this? I need help... or I'm going to have to return this worthless piece of ****.

(sorry I'm kinda mad that for $300... I can't do something so ****ing simple)

*(we have a macbook btw too)

Thanks for the help... and I apologize about the frustration and profanity.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

just add the video to itunes. first locate the file that u downloaded and make sure its in .mp4 or h.264 , then add them to your itunes library and then connect ut ipo touch and sync . done ! and BTW, there is no such policy. if there was then non oone would buy the ipods:D

3. joeking1978 thread starter macrumors newbie

ah, here in lies the problem.

The video already shows up in itunes. When I try to sync the video's... a window pops up saying "this video can not be played on this ipod". when I called apple to question why... they said the video's have to be purchased from itunes otherwise it won't play because of licensing issues.

So it already shows up in itunes... and I can play it from itunes... but I can't sync it to my itouch.

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

use isquint to recode the video for the ipod

5. joeking1978 thread starter macrumors newbie

do you have a link by anychance?

6. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

7. joeking1978 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thanks.

...but just to double check. If itunes already recognizes it... and shows it... there is no shorter step to download it to the itouch? just curious... because this is a lot for my wife to do, which means I will have to do it all the time for her... :(

8. baseball-kid8 macrumors member

use this site. Just put in the url of the video and save it to the desktop. then import it into itunes by going to file>import file.

http://keepvid.com/

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If the video is already in iTunes, just select Advanced->Create iPod Version

10. joeking1978 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you... I will try this. *(unfortunately the wife is using the computer and doesn't want to relenquish it long enough for me to try :mad:)

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the iPhone and iPod Touch (which both use the iPhone OS) can play .mp4 and .mov at a resolution of up to 640x480 and bitrate of up to 1.5 Mbps.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Glad your issue was resolved. :) There are some very talented people here on MR. One word of advice, we understand your frustration when you get something new and exciting and it doesn't seem to work like you were expecting, however next time, just ask if something is possible rather than assume it doesn't and call Apple all kinds of names. In the end you were wrong about your accusations and the name calling was totally unnecessary.

13. joeking1978 thread starter macrumors newbie

hold on... I haven't said it worked yet. Also- I did not say the apple support was lame. I said the policy was lame. please don't misconstrue my words.

That being said... yes... it is a lame policy if in fact is what is preventing this from working.

actually speaking of Apple Support... I will tell you that they pissed me off. I had a women who I tried to about 20 different ways to pry the answer out of her and all she would do is apologize and say "sorry sir... but apple has to protect themselves. You can only use videos downloaded through itunes".

14. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Apple is full of it, there's nothing that can stop you from adding your own videos, as long as they're in the right format. I've added 5 or so GB worth of videos, mainly ripped from DVDs, (my own, I should add) in the last week alone and they've been added and played in both iTunes and on my iPod without any problems. One example is No Country For Old Men, it's available in the iTunes store but I ripped it from DVD, used iSquint to encode it put it onto my iPod without so much as a hiccup from iTunes.