Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baxter007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Newbie here. When I type the address of pgatour.com, it keeps taking me to the mobile pgatour site. What's up with that? :confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It uses the identification string of Mobile Safari to determine you're on a mobile device.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, there's a "Show Website" link, which takes you to...

http://www.pgatour.com/?src=iphonewap

This forces loading of the full website (I know, strange name for it). Bookmark that page and then just use your bookmark.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
That's pretty common. The iPhone identifies itself as mobile and you are redirected to the mobile site. Scroll down to the bottom and select Show Website. That should get you to the main site. Usually there is a link to the full site.

Oops someone beat me to it.... :)

FXT 1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
UK
On the same note, do you guys know how to get to a full site when they don't offer a link to it on the mobile site? That get's kinda annoying.

Sorry, but could you provide some links? All the mobile sites I've experienced so far provide a link to the full site.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Sorry, but could you provide some links? All the mobile sites I've experienced so far provide a link to the full site.

Let me try to find one ... It always seems to be while I'm no the run I happen across one, maybe I'm just not looking thoroughly. I'll see if I can find one.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

i believe Hotmail is one. Although I use the mobile app, sometimes I've wanted to use the original, and I can't, IIRC.

The only way to keep from going to mobile sites is to jailbreak, AFAIK. I think it tricks the site into thinking you're a computer and not an iPhone.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The only way to keep from going to mobile sites is to jailbreak, AFAIK. I think it tricks the site into thinking you're a computer and not an iPhone.

There was another thread on app store browsers recently... do any app store browsers have user agent spoofing (like from the debug menu of Safari)? That should do the trick in a lot of cases.

milerich

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Here is one...

m.nationalgeographic.com

No link at the bottom of the page on this site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.