Help, nothing works on my Mac.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Comet17, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Comet17 macrumors newbie

Comet17

I was having problems with safari constantly quitting then I installed firefox and it kept quitting. I don't think that is the problem what is going on now, but just gonna mention that in case it helps.

Now after I tried to install Lightroom, my computer started to freeze up and now finder doesn't work. The upper panel in finder doesn't work either. Can't open any folders, nothing seem to work. when i click on the finder or safari it goes to a blue blinking screen and then goes back. I tried to back up but of course it gave me errors. Please, if anyone knows what could be possibly wrong with it, let me know. :eek:

Thank you.

2. 1ne macrumors regular

That does not sound good. Time for a reinstall of OSX

3. Comet17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Comet17

resinstall no problem. But will i be able to back up?!?

4. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Backing up is good but an archive and install should leave everything pretty much in place. You'll need to reinstall/enter license keys for some apps.

5. Comet17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Comet17

:confused:how can I back up if i can't access anything. finder, hd, or open any folders. back up button worked but it has an error every time its starting to back up.

6. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Boot off the OSX cd. Turn off your mac, hold down "C" as you power up i believe, it will force boot into the cd. Then at the top go to utilities, disk utilities and hit the repair button. See if anything red shows up as it repairs.. maybe it's just some hd error and it will be fine after a repair.

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

You can do an archive and install like was said above instead of just a clean re-install. I would boot into your OSX install disk (you do this by either holding "C" or "option" at startup, if you hold option select the CD icon that comes up) and go into disk utility and see if you can repair the disk first and also try to repair permissions. Then boot back into OSX and see if anything has improved.