Help! Novice Macbook Pro User

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samadam110, Jul 23, 2012.

1. samadam110 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have only used windows prior to this 'present' that was given to me two years ago. Macbook Pro. I am quite computer illiterate in anycase so please bear with me.

It's only been a bit over two years and i am facing these issues :

1. The battery charge lasts for about an hour now!

2. When the charge dies down completely and the laptop switches off… and i switch it on again…. i have to again adjust controls for 'single tap', 'dragging' and so on. Also have to adjust the time as well, when that happens.

3. I have noticed this primarily whilst playing a youtube video… it will 'hang'… until it's fully loaded. If it's 'loading'… and i try to use some other screen… it will again show that rainbow circle going round and round and round! It just 'hangs' and then starts. I can't even load two youtube videos at the same time!

I thought Macs are not supposed to 'hang' or have virus's?

4. Is there any good 'viewer'/editor software like ACDsee (for free) for Macs?

5. Overall i feel that my mac's not performing like it used to, and i am not a very heavy user and such, and that's shocking. Is there anything i can do … are there free softwares/programs that i can use to bring 'it' back?

I love the MAC, maybe i just don't know how to get the maximum out of it… and thus need your help!

I don't know if this is relevant but I am running Mac OSX, version 10.6.8

Thanks in advance,

Sam

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

1. Was the computer new when you got it? Regardless, 2+ year old laptops can expect to have some battery decrease, and really depends on how you've been using the computer.

2. That seems...weird.

3. Flash. Sucks. Terribly. Macs can definitely hang, others will be along to explain Mac "viruses" to you. Hell, my late 2011 BP will hang on flash videos. ANY computer can hang or have little stutters, there's a lot of things going on these days that can cause it, especially with an older computer (are you running all of these videos 720 or 1080?)

4. Have you tried iPhoto? I also hear that this place can find software for you.

5. Is it really shocking that a 4 year old computer doesn't run like it did in 2008? I mean, I love my Rev. 1 MBP, but it's 6 years old and don't expect it to fuction as fast as it did the day it cam out.

3. samadam110 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope i don't sound ungrateful for your ONE answer that was solution oriented...but iphoto really doesn't compare to acdsee.

I do hope that i get some responses that can point me in the right direction with some constructive solutions/suggestions.

Thanks.

Sameer

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

All of the other information given in that post was very useful. Was the computer new when you got it? What model year is it? There can be a lot of explanations for the battery and slowdowns, but without knowing more about the computer it's tough to give useful answers. If you go to the Apple in the menu at the top of your screen, then to About This Mac, it will give some information that will help others here help you.

If you're not happy with the software suggestion, maybe try posting about that over in the Mac Applications forum.

5. token787 macrumors regular

token787

When I called in about a problem with my Mac the first thing they did was to see if any updates and what version OS was running so you may want to check for software updates. (Just a thought)

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

No problem, I was really trying to get more info about your usage and hardware, it's difficult to make concrete suggestions without knowing more about your setup.