Help -- Old Mac User, But New to PowerPC G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lpratt3, Mar 2, 2012.

1. lpratt3 macrumors newbie

I bought a PowerPC G5 dual 2.0 with 1.5gb of Ram and a 160gb HD. I've since upgraded and added a 2TB HD for the drive B slot. I'd like to make it the primary drive, but I don't own a retail copy of Leopard. Can anyone help me on that?

I ordered 4gb of RAM, but when I attempted to install it it turns out that they sent the wrong RAM as the groove in the chips is off by about 1/8 inch. Hopefully the next set will be correct. I've since learned that my G5 has 8 1GB slots not 2GB.

Can anyone tell me what graphics card I should be looking at to run the G5 on my HDTV? Maybe one with an HDMI out? I'm currently running ATI Radeon 9600 Pro: Chipset Model: ATY,RV350 that has 64MB of VRAM.

I'd also like to add a BluRay drive to this thing. Is it possible and has anyone done it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. mike457 macrumors 6502

If you use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, you can clone the existing 160GB drive to your new drive. Then in System Preferences, you can identify the new drive as the the start-up drive.

The G5's DVD drive is Pata not Sata, and I believe blu-ray drives are Sata. What would you be using to display the blu-ray file?

3. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

I don't think they made any video card that work's with G5's that has a built-in HDMI Port:( But you can use a DVI-To-HDMI adapter to get HDMI. you can find them on ebay or amazon.com for under $10:).