Help on a new camera - Range

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Jbgloss, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Jbgloss, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

Jbgloss macrumors member

Jbgloss

Good Morning

**Range 3-5K*** deleted from subject sorry,

A little about me and what I am looking for so I can get some help. I love this board as it is amazing the amount of professionals on here.

I founded MorningCoach.com which started as a AUDIO podcast. I have done over 1100 of them and have been rated top 10 on iTunes for over 4 years. I started on a PC and moved to a MAC and have just grown and grown. Our premise is tools and information to help people reach their dreams. It is growing like crazy, we are in 100 plus countries and just launched in Chinese - MorningCoach.asia and will be launching in Spanish in the next few months. (BTW we are launching a new site today LOL so don't go there. I have never heard anyone say don't go to there website but don't LOLOL)

As things have grown I have moved into video. For our marketing videos etc we use a professional and he is amazing - here is our promo video we shot over the last few weeks:

http://youtu.be/F0O8GBqKN4M?hd=1

He uses a DSLR and audio from other cameras, sources etc.... that is great when we are shooting our promos, speaking demos, etc... and he is amazing. But I do a weekly video and I don’t want to hire that out or have someone else involved it just complicates things. My content is done quick and I am all about lifestyle.

So with that being said, thanks to the the pros on the MacPro thread last month (Hellhammer was huge) I picked up a 3.33 6 Core Mac Pro with 16GB’s or Ram and 2 ACD’s FCS and the rest of the bells and whistles. I am VERY happy with this machine. The last few weeks I have been in intense study of FCS and I am ready to take my next step.

My current rig is - Cannon HG10 with a Sennheiser ew100 G3 and CountryMan Mic for audio. (I know on the Cannon HG10) LOL but it works. I have a Rode ShotGun I pull out sometimes too....

Here is my last weekly video shot -

http://youtu.be/So710BQUr4c

You can see it has pro intros and outs and then a talking head.... I am going to do less talking head and more B roll with my new editing knowledge and FC, Motion etc... As you can see my sets are in my office with proper lighting and outside like this one. This one I shot at my place in Bogota Colombia where I am now. Missing the MP LOL I am on my MBP.... you can see I shoot solo....

I am looking at cameras in the range of 3-5K

Here is what I need as you can see....

1.Ease of use - I need to be able to use a remote to shoot my talking head part and I want a quick carry - I was looking at the Cannon FX100 but I am not sure about the sensor size.

2. Integrated audio - just plug the xlr in the camera and shoot - I also have a rode shotgun mic too I use sometimes. DSLR won’t work for me here.

3. Plays nice with FC or the NEW FC

4. Range 3-5K US Can go up for lenses, etc.. if it makes sense - (MAYBE a good Camcorder would work for what I want and be less??)

5. Something pro enough to get Broll for my pro if needed, or as a second camera or third in some shooting.

I want to be able to set up and shoot, bring it into FC add broll and some editing and render it. I like to play with technology, actually I love it, but don't want to WORK... if I don't have to if that makes sense :)

These are weekly 5 -10 minute videos so I need a camera that will work with me not against me.... LOL :eek:

I would love to hear your thoughts on a camera for these issues. I know they are going to announce the new FC MAYBE this week. So that could have an impact on my purchase. But this next investment is a big one so I would love some help from you that are doing this on a daily basis!!

Thank You Very Much,

JB

2. FroColin macrumors regular

I would suggest the Sony PMW-EX1. There is a newer version, the EX1R, now but there is virtually no difference in picture, it's mostly just the body. I has large sensors so it's great in low light and... Well you should look into it. It over 6 grand for a EX1R but you can find an EX1 on ebay or something for 4 or 5 grand. Of course there are some down sides. The cards are REALLY expensive but you should at least look into that camera.
    Good luck!

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

IMO there is no need for an ex1 unless you plan on broadcasting.
    I use a Sony xn5u and love it. Highly recommond it. Is size and weight concern? Do you want/need a large zoom. On the tiny professional cameras have tiny zoom which won't work me but may work for you. When I was in the market I wanted hd (obvisouly) large zoom good low light and tapeless. The tapeless was important most to me and I didn't want to pay a fortune for p2 etc cards. So thats how I picked the nx5u.

4. Jbgloss thread starter macrumors member

Jbgloss

Thank you guys!

That is why I love this forum.

Zoom is not a huge deal now.... but may be for me soon. I will be shooting mostly B Roll during travel etc... then talking head stuff. Zoom is not that critical. But for some B Roll shots it could be.

For example today here in Colombia I was up in the Mountains with the HG10 and we got parachuter jumping off one of the cliffs. I would have loved to have a good camera with decent zoom. I could not carry something to large as I want to be able to "take" it with me. I shot that with the HG10

I have to have HD, the ability to remote the camera, zoom would be good and carry convenience.

I know asking for A LOT - lol that is why I was thinking the new Cannon XF but it does not play nice with FC (Maybe the new one) AND it has 1/3 Sensor.... GRRR

Thanks a ton, this thread helps...

JB

5. Jbgloss thread starter macrumors member

Jbgloss

Awesome

Wow,

That Sony looks amazing Sony xn5u - a little big to carry but looks like it could work. Going to research a little more but the ratings are great on BH and other sites.

Thank You!!!

6. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

My current object of desire is a Sony NX5u. While it doesn't have the sensor size to give that shallow depth of field the cinematographers desire or the ability to take different lenses, my work doesn't require that. It's run and gun.

It has 3 chips, 2 XLR inputs and an onboard mic, two SDHC slots, and Sony makes a 128GB removable flash memory unit that clips on. I see it as a replacement for my HDV tape-based camera.

BH Photo has it listed for $4k.

7. Jbgloss thread starter macrumors member

Jbgloss

I agree

Martin

I think having the 120GB would serve me well. Like Puck said above his design was based on no expensive cards. With what I shoot that would work real well for me. I wonder how it will play with the new FC we should be finding out soon.

I am down here in Colombia 2 more weeks then I am going to decide. I like it better then the Cannon XF100 that I was looking at.

Well let you know :)

Thanks for posting!!!

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Just be aware that the NX5U does record in AVCHD which needs to be transcoded into pro res.. which in turns produces large files.
    I should state that I do have the flash module. I didn't want to buy expensive p2 cards or others cards and have to worry about recording times and swapping cards in and out. ( I shoot sports so long recording times) So i bit the bullet and bought it. It really is great. At the highest setting you can get over 11 hrs without the need for an external recorder or swapping cards so you don't have worry about "do I have enough room on my tape".

9. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

For now. Let's see what Tuesday brings...

I'd be undecided between getting the Sony module or something like the finally-shipping Atomos Ninja, which records in ProRes mov files so it's a drag and drop affair.

If the new FCP can handle AVCHD natively, I'd probably go with the Sony unit just to keep file sizes small. Mind you, it'd be nice to record and work with 10-bit 4:2:2 files straight through.

10. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I shoot the Panasonic HVX200a and HPX170...as well as the EX1(r). I also have the Canon DSLRs....the 5dmk2 and 7d. You are looking in the right direction. Avoid the DSLRs for now...they are enticing with their interchangeable lenses, shallow DOF, etc. Maybe for your "Talking Head" and studio work, that would be perfect....even the t3i, the new $800 Canon would be perfect for the set shots.

I like my Pannys more than my Sonys...but ymmv. Just the more film look vs. the intensely sharp "digital" look from my EX1. For some shots, they're awesome. But I've been using my Pannys significantly more. And at $3500, you can grab a brand new HPX170 with a 16gig P2 card. The P2 cards have come down significantly as have the SxS cards for Sony. Makes the transfer in to FCP significantly easier and faster than tape. As well, DVC-Pro can be edited directly without Pro-Res transforming. (As can XDCam to be fair). The new Panny AF100 is an awesome camera, but without many of the things you'll enjoy having for the type of shooting your doing. It has the ability to change lenses, but without the ability in some cases to take advantage of electronic aperture and focus control. Which, again, in run and gun situations is vital IMO.

Another camera I've had my eye on is the Canon XF305 or the XF300 (a bit cheaper without SDI output). They're very well received by the indie market. Being most of your shooting is outdoors, these 1/3" sensors (or 1/2" in the case of the EX1) will be just fine. Also, for landscape and shots that don't require that shallow DOF control...you'll be fine. The primary limitation of the smaller sensors.

Good Luck and Congratulations on your success! Keep your eye out, this week, there may be some very exciting changes announced (Final Cut Pro)!

Best,

Jeremy

11. Jbgloss thread starter macrumors member

Jbgloss

Thanks EVERYONE!!

Now the wait till JUNE!! LOL with X coming out.

Seems it opens up the Camera options.

I went with the six core 3.33 and 16GBs and SSD, questioning myself a little but I am sure the six core will be pretty good with X = though it looks like the more cores the better!!!

Thanks EVERYONE for the posts - Camera shopping time now LOL

12. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I see Panasonic has announced some new cameras at NAB.

One more to consider: the Sony HXR-NX70E, due in May/June. Not as big as the NX5U and it even looks a bit more handycam-ish, but it has professional XLR inputs available, shoots 1080 60p, and manual iris and focus (on a single ring, assignable) as well as 96GB internal memory. You can also transfer from the camera directly to a hard drive without a PC in the middle. The nifty bit: it's waterproof and dustproof (IP54 rating).

13. Jbgloss thread starter macrumors member

Jbgloss

Martin I am hearing Sony

Got some tips that in my range Sony is going to be pretty strong.

Killer video!! Thank you!!

Anxious to see, thanks for posting :)