Help on a new Wireless Router.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mirai 11, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Mirai 11 macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

I've had an ACTIONTEC 802.11b router, and ever since i got it, its been a complete let down. Now it barely connects and has such as low speed its laughable. For some reason when i go onto certain websites like mypace for an amount of time, it just freezes and i have to turn it off then on again.
    But now its time to invest in a new one, the 802.11n way now, but i dont want to upgrade my iMac just so it can connect to an N network, as i really cant afford it at the time bein, so could i get an airport extreme and a sort of adapter for my imac so it connects to the airport in the other room with the computer and the internet with 802.11n?
    Id appreciate the help a lot
    Many thanks.

2. Mirai 11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Your post is a little confusing. If your iMac already connects wirelessly and is receiving signals from your router, why would you bother with an AE unit?

If you're having frequent dropouts, a properly-functioning router would be a huge improvement. Why not try replacing the problem router first? Current 802.11g transfer rates will be better than what you have now, and you can upgrade the iMac itself to an 'n' configuration later, when it's cheaper.

Or, go straight to an 802.11n router now, but continue to connect using the 802.11g in your iMac. You won't get the transfer rates of 'n', but it will still work and be an improvement over your current situation.

4. Mirai 11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

It is, but when it does, the connection is so slow its laughable.
    Thats wot im on about, buying a new router, but im not sure wot to get, but ive read that the airport extreme sounds good, but i want a n connection, and my imac only has 802.11b, so i want an adapter for it so it can connect in the n range.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

what, not wot, and use I' please. Confusion indeed.

So you want to purchase an AEBS to use as a new router, use it wirelessly, but have 802.11n-like rates on your 802.11b iMac.

You problem: is there something that will convert a wireless n-signal to a signal that will talk to your b-configured iMac. Hmmm. I don't know what you might do in this case.

However, if you're already looking to shell out the cash for an AEBS, an extra $50 or so should get you an AirPort card. Probably less if you do your shopping on eBay. I know you don't want to spend the extra money to upgrade the iMac, but it may be the only option, and might be just as cheap.

6. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

It doesn’t appear that you have diagnosed the connection issues being directly related to your wireless router. I would verify before you go out and spend the money

Do you have the possibility of utilizing another wireless device to connect to your wireless network? If so does that device have the same connection/speed issues on your wireless network? Then you know for sure what you need to fix.

If you want to save the bucks,
    I'd first try and see what software is running on your wireless router, from there go to the manufactures website and see if they have made any software updates for your routers OS. This might remedy the problem. Also it might be worth it to restore the device to factory defaults and then re-apply your current settings.

If cash is an issue I would make sure the problem is not related to your imac’s wireless before you go out and purchase a new wireless router.

Good luck

7. routerreview07 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I did some research using electronics search engine. Here is the more review and manuals on ACTIONTEC 802.11b