Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDadd3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Hey guys looking advice, I can buy an ipad mini 16gb for the full price or get a 32gb ipad 3rd gen new for 390 plus tax. I'm kinda in the fence because its only about a 70 dollar difference for twice the storage and of course retina. I think I would use them both equally for the same purposes and mobility isn't too much of an issue. Any feedback is appreciated

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
said it yourself, with twice the capacity plus a retina.

People are still satisfy with their Ipad 3 so why not? its a good grab especially for that price. I envy u.

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I absolutely love my ipad mini, so I would typically say you should choose that, but storage is so important. I have a 32g and I've already filled up more than 20g. I think in your case the Ipad 3rd gen is the best deal and is likely to give you the most in terms of usability and longevity.

Either choice you make I'm sure you will be very happy. These are really cool devices and they are just plain fun!

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
And let's not forget that the iPad 3 comes with double the ram. Since portability isn't a huge factor for you, I think the iPad 3 would be a great choice.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
I agree, the iPad 3 has 1 gig of ram which really makes a difference and of course the Retina display. 32GB is ideal if you already have lots of apps or will want to get lots of apps/put games & movies on it.

If the Retina display is secondary, you want a smaller device and 16GB is fine, go with the Mini.

I recommend the iPad 3 big time

vainhumility

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Retina iPad, without question. I'm happy that so many people are happy with their mini's but to me there is absolutely no competition, especially considering the very small difference in price between those two products.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you want the mobility of the iPad mini or the retina screen of the iPad 3 (or 4).

For many people the mini offers superior mobility and functionality (I use my mini on the subway where the larger iPad is more awkward) For others the screen is more important and don't mind the larger form factor

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
If mobility isn't a concern, definitely go for the 3gen - you will get a stronger processor and retina.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sounds like the ipad 3 is right for you. Something else to bear in mind is that the 3 uses the old style connector while the mini doesn't. This means that you will be able to score accessories on the cheap as everyone makes room for the new devices.

MacDadd3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks guys, your feedback has been great.

FWIW, if anyone is looking to score cheap ipad3s look at microcenter I found an open box 32gb for 390.75 3rd gen hope that helps someone out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.