Help on a time machine backup of a desktop folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JSENNY25, Nov 10, 2015.

1. JSENNY25 macrumors member

Hi folks. I am looking for help on finding all of the contents of an accidentally deleted desktop folder. I am running a rMBP 2013.

The folder (titled SCHOOL) was accidentally deleted yesterday without my knowledge. Emptied the trash not realizing it was there.

Figured a data recover would not help because the ssd uses trim support so I went about my day in the classroom.

Got home. Plugged time machine in and restored the folder that has resided on my desktop for 3 different macs years. Only 85-90% of the data in the folder was restored. Some folders within the larger SCHOOL folder ( SCHOOL> tests>Ch 12) had the title and nothing smaller folder contents said 0 and the about also said 0.

Any suggestions? I have read that Time Machine does not make a full back up of desktop folders, but I am hoping someone has had a positive experience recovering a folder from the desktop.

2. 3568358 macrumors 6502

you mustn't have had a recent enough backup with that data.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you got 85-90% of it back, after having the trash emptied on a "running machine", I'd say that you did very well...

Just a suggestion for the future:
    Don't keep an important folder like that "on the desktop".
    Keep it somewhere else (documents folder, etc., can be wherever you wish), and instead, keep an -alias- of the folder on the desktop.

If the alias file is deleted, the original that it "points to" will still be there.