Help on Apple 4870

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Arrgo1, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Arrgo1 macrumors newbie

People,
    I have just installed an Apple 4870 in slot 1 in a MP1.1 with 12g of Ram and am trying to get it to run a 30" cinema on the DVI port and a 23" cinema on the MDP through the Apple MDP/DVI adapter. I can run the 30 by itself without any issues, but if I try it with both monitors plugged in the 23 runs but the 30 stays black, when I look in the displays preferences I don't even see the 30 listed. I have tried going through all of the posts that I could find on the 4870 but have not been able to find anything on this anomaly. I would be most appreciative if someone could help out with some advice or at least a link that I could search through.

Thanks for the help
    Cheers

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

To get them both to work, you're going to need to trade that MDP>DVI cable for a MDP>dual-link DVI. Use that cable to connect the 30" to the MDP and connect the 23" to the DVI port. Bad news is, I think the MDP>DL-DVI costs $100 from Apple. There may be 3rd party resellers that sell them for less, I don't know.

3. Arrgo1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, silly me, to think that I could get away with the less expensive one! I'll return the one I have and will give that a go, nothing like having to spend even more money......Thanks for the help

Cheers

4. akadmon macrumors 68020

Why not plug the 23" ACD into the original video card? Just keep anything that could be helped by the faster video card on the 30" screen.

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

6. akadmon macrumors 68020

He's on a 1,1.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

8. Arrgo1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Akadmon,
    I never really gave much thought to using the original video card for the 23" ACD, are there any drawbacks with doing that other than it taking up another slot(not an issue) and being a bit slower than the 4870? My old card is the 8800. It would at least save me a hudred bucks!

Cheers

9. akadmon macrumors 68020

I can't think of any drawbacks, besides tying up a slot and drawing a little more power. As for any performance hit, like I said, just do your graphics intensive stuff on the 30" ACD hooked up to the 4870. I don't think you'll notice any difference for 99% of stuff you likely to want to put on your secondary monitor. That said, I'm not speaking from experience. I'm just now beginning to consider getting a 30" screen to complement my 24" Dell monitor (probably another Dell, since I've had it with Apple dragging their feet on updating the 30" ACD). When I get it, I will do exactly what I suggested to you.

Anyway, I don't see any harm in trying this approach. You might save yourself a $100.

10. Arrgo1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try your suggestion tonight when I get home, sounds like a very good idea. Thanks again!

Cheers from the wet coast

11. akadmon macrumors 68020

I'm assumimg you took the 8800 out when you installed thge 4870. I just moved my 7300GT to Slot #3 after I installed the 4870. I chose to put it #3 (as opposed to #2 or #4) because I wanted to give the the 4870 some room to breathe and I didn't want the old card to be right up against the HDs. I've not noticed any increase in the internal temps or fan noise (not noticeable to begin with) since the upgrade. In theory, I could be running four 30" monitors now, if I had the $ :) At some point I will probably be adding a SATA card, but the one I'm thinking of getting is small (not full length), so I'm not at all worried about it having much of an impact on air circulation with both video cards installed.