Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamedevpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
CT
As the title says im a game developer, not the one that makes games for mobile phones and flash; i mean full fledged 3d games. I use blender as my primary engine and my computer is reaching the 2 year mark and i think its time for a upgrade. I never owned a mac before so this is almost all new to me but i have built my own computer before and have good around knowlege about computers. My friend played my rpg game that i made (still is nameless) and wants me to make a mac version but the problem is i don't have a mac. I could try to use a built in program that attemps to port your game to all platforms but all the controllers would mess up because of the different keyboards so it would delete its self also there are some meshes that i would have to re edit in the mac version. He drove me to the apple store thinking i could find something that dose what i want and meet my $1200 budget and i nearly fainted after seeing the prices for just a base model 15" $1800 and thats not even after tax... also student discount is only $100 bucks off. so i decided to ether get a brand new 13" base model or this 15" i found on craigslist for $1200 late 2008 2.4 C2D. im also going to college so ill use this for work too, going to need every penny for books and supplies and paying bills. Craigslist seems a bit shady and my friends are not liking me just buying a computer that might have potential problems and void warrenties even though the seller says it's fine so would buying the 13" be fine or would i have trouble rendering and creating my games and opt for the used one? :confused:

P.S. screen size dosn't bother me i could always use a external display.

Also just needed to add i don't want to use credit cards/financing or billmelater cause of the horror stories i heard about them with max arp and fees.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
As the title says im a game developer, not the one that makes games for mobile phones and flash; i mean full fledged 3d games. I use blender as my primary engine and my computer is reaching the 2 year mark and i think its time for a upgrade. I never owned a mac before so this is almost all new to me but i have built my own computer before and have good around knowlege about computers. My friend played my rpg game that i made (still is nameless) and wants me to make a mac version but the problem is i don't have a mac. I could try to use a built in program that attemps to port your game to all platforms but all the controllers would mess up because of the different keyboards so it would delete its self also there are some meshes that i would have to re edit in the mac version. He drove me to the apple store thinking i could find something that dose what i want and meet my $1200 budget and i nearly fainted after seeing the prices for just a base model 15" $1800 and thats not even after tax... also student discount is only $100 bucks off. so i decided to ether get a brand new 13" base model or this 15" i found on craigslist for $1200 late 2008 2.4 C2D. im also going to college so ill use this for work too, going to need every penny for books and supplies and paying bills. Craigslist seems a bit shady and my friends are not liking me just buying a computer that might have potential problems and void warrenties even though the seller says it's fine so would buying the 13" be fine or would i have trouble rendering and creating my games and opt for the used one? :confused:

P.S. screen size dosn't bother me i could always use a external display.

Also just needed to add i don't want to use credit cards/financing or billmelater cause of the horror stories i heard about them with max arp and fees.

Well by the description in your post it seems that your game developing is more of a hobby than a career.. Therefore I think the 13" would be a better choice. If you were making money for game developing I'd recommend the i7 processor. The C2D will be slower than the i5 (obviously) but it should still do the job. The only problem is that it's video card isn't discrete like the 15/17" models. I'm no developer but I'd assume you want the best video card you can get for testing and what not.

I'd say get the 13" model and if you turn game developing into a career, think about an upgrade.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
If imamac's assumption is correct, I'd agree with the 13" mbp. If you're a professional game developer, you shouldn't even be looking at a macbook pro.

Gamedevpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
CT
thx for the replies! it looks like i really can't afford the one i need based on what your guys are telling me. i did some more research and the c2d seems really out of date now.... i don't feel comfortble paying 1200 for a computer with out of date tech but maybe in the fall they will release a i5 13" mbp that i can afford. i plan to use this for on the go work and mac porting but I think Il have to wait for a price drop/ i5 13" mbp or get a alienware or something else.:(
i really want to make the switch to mac but not if it cost me my game developing.

il put up a thread on i5 mbp and see what i can dig up.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.