Help on choice versus PC and Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lamarak, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

I have budget to buy one good laptop that like to use for college and games. Guess my basic question, is how well the newer PC games like dragon age 2 and Witcher 2 run in bootcamp with a high end 17 model?

I Love Mac OS and have had a MBP since 2008. I dont need the games to run in uber mode but would like to run it decently. Im not really up on graphic cards on what is good or not. But i see many upcoming PC titles coming up I would like to play. I can get a decent alienware type for same money but sure would miss Mac OS. plus have ipad and iphone so works well together. Any advice be great. Thank you

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you are a student and you will be gaming, go for the high-end 15". It's more portable and has lower resolution which helps with gaming. AMD 6750M is a pretty good GPU so it should run all games fine, although maybe not at the highest settings.

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Just get the Alienware and anytime you want some OS X goodness ... boot up your 08 MBP.

4. DudeMartin macrumors regular

A student carrying around an Alienware has to be the most unprofessional thing ever. The thing is dreadful to carry around anyways. I don't even see why there are Alienware laptops - you might as well make them desktops.

Yeah I would recommend going with the high-end 15", it will probably run any game you throw at it with nice frames and good quality. I mean the integrated Intel graphics (the 2011 ones) can run Team Fortress 2 on medium-high with nice frames and little to no slow downs. I know because I have a 13" and that's about all I play on it.

5. Lamarak thread starter macrumors 6502

Its helping to finance the new one. My apple care is up on it and would like to upgrade. Been waiting for a decent refresh and this batch seem good to me.

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Not the best place to ask this question...these things spiral out of control so quickly.

If you can afford it, and OSX is important to you, then I'd agree with Hellhammer, the high end 15" is the way to go. It's definitely the best balance between CPU, GPU and battery life that you can get right now.

If OSX isn't important, there are much cheaper options out there that offer better performance.

7. Lamarak thread starter macrumors 6502

Didnt want to cause problems, just not up to snuff on video cards and was mostly wanting to know will be a decent card for pc games in bootcamp.

I use my ipad for most school stuff.. zagg keyboard real nice with that. Want 17 for netflix, movies, and games ).