Help on choosing...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by adm90, Feb 7, 2012.

1. adm90 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Im new here and im hoping this isnt like the god awful android forums i used to be on. So be easy on me :eek: I come to you with a question Im almost positive has been asked many times before. I need some help choosing which iPad model would be right for me...

A little insight about me before i throw out my two models in question. Im a college student and really wanted to get this as something small to take to class and takes notes on as well as create presentations and etc. So ideally i want this to be used as a learning tool more than anything.

However.... As a 21 year old who loves new technology and what not, i cant lie and say i will not be downloading the fun apps and such. This will be my first apple product since the first ipod touch came out, so a couple years have passed already. So i will be having fun with the things i have heard of garageband etc... As far as music and videos go, im not a big movies on computer kinda guy, i have no movies saved on any of my computers... If i must watch a movie i usually stream it over netflix or just buy it if they dont have it. As for the music... well i checked and my old itunes folder contains about 8 gigs of music (as i said this about 2 years old) but obviously i may up date that with newer music i have downloaded. However im tempted to not even bother as most dont have proper tagging and im subscribed to spotify anyways. And pictures... meh pictures... im not a big sentimental kinda guy, most of my pictures are just of me and friends being dumb, all in all maybe under 200 total are on my computer.

SO, ill stop rambling and apologies for the long description, i just wanted to give you all a clear idea of the type of person i am and how i deal with media. My main question is this: Given the new iPad 3 releasing soon supposedly, and the prices stay the same. Would it be suggested to go with the (supposedly) 4G capable 32GB or go with the 64GB wifi only? Again as of now, i am used to streaming music and videos already (Spotify has offline playlist capablities as well). Should i go 4G and less memory and utilize over the cloud? or is that feature not quite as good as it sounds on the apple site and maybe more physical memory and sync when at home is better?

Again sorry for the long post, any input and opinions are greatly appreciated everyone. Thanks!

2. number84 macrumors 6502

32Gb with 3G/4G...personally if 16Gb is still going to be available with 3G/4G, then this is what I'm going to get since I stream most of my movies, don't store music/photos on my iPad.

3. adm90 thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ok, what size do you have already? is it anywhere near full?

4. DrNoellyG macrumors member

Go with the 32gb. I don't think you will run out of space if you stream most of your content, I do the same and 32gb is more than enough. with 32 gb you'll have plenty of room to grow and having 3g is always a plus. Analyze well if you *really* need 3G though (or 4G if that's the case), I thought I was going to need it plenty and in reality I haven't. I could have saved the extra cash and gotten a ton more apps and games. But hey, live and learn.

5. number84 macrumors 6502

i used to have a 16Gb wifi iPad 2...only got full once, but i had a lot of games that i really didn't play so when the jailbreak came out, i did a restore and only loaded the apps I actually used...didn't get anywhere near full.

i no longer have it as i recently sold it (for a decent price) but will be getting the iPad 3 once it's available...but as mentioned will likely get the 3G/4G version this time.

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

32GB should be a minimum now and here is why. GPU and CPU chipset are moving to quadcore and higher end graphics. This means developers of the new apps can choose to utilize the enhanced graphics, say for a game like infinity blade or for medical apps that create graphically intensive and manipulative 3d views of the brain or heart.

What am I getting at here? Expect apps to average around 1GB in size. There are a ton of apps that already exceed this size. And if you have 8GB of music... Do the math. Cheers and enjoy your new iPad, whichever you choose.

7. adm90, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

adm90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the kind of thing i was considering exactly. I had read that apps were getting pretty heavy. I was curious when you jail break iphones is there an option to use it as a hotspot under the radar? Im coming over from android and had the option. I plan on getting the iphone 5 when its released whenever that may be. And if i can simply connect to my phones internet (i can set up hotspot on my current droid till the iphone is out) then i would not even hesitate to just go 64 either way. Sorry for barely adding this bit of info but im kinda slow and barely saw that as an option lol.

EDIT: Im on verizon if that makes a difference.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

If you are coming from Android, then jailbreaking is your only al option. Unfortunately, it won't happen for quite a while if ever on the iphone 5. Apple is getting tougher to crack with each new chipset.

That said, you can still tether even without the jailbreak. You just have to pay for it, at least with att. Don't know about verizon. If you jailbreak, there are several tweaks that allow for tethering, just have to hope you don't get caught by the service provider.

As a long standing Android user, I would suggest getting yourself a used iphone 4 for cheap, jailbreak it and learn about computer apps that are used to jailbreak like redsn0w, absinthe and the like and which chipsets they are for. Whatever you do, do not upgrade to ios 5.1 when it comes out. Only 5.0 and 5.0.1 are able to be broken.
    But I say to do this, because with the jailbreak, your iphone will feel just like an Android phone. Free to download and customize as much as ya like. Hell, there are even themes to make your iphone look exactly like an HTC.

9. adm90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm... yeah i see your point there... Well i suppose if i truly needed to go somewhere that had no wifi to find anywhere, i could just swap service to the old android for the time being, im talking worst case scenario of course. Even if Iphone 5 could not be jailbroken, i suppose that would be alright. Im kinda leaving android because i was a flash addict and the developers for my phone were more concerned with bringing out a cool feature than making the ROM stable at all lol. (such is the curse of open source sometimes) So i need to fight my addiction with a polished (compared to what ive had) UI.