Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subhra B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Guys....
I have a imac system with OS 8.6 I cannot upgrade OS as I am not authorised to... all I need to do is run safari on this to test our web pages in
mac environment.

my imac system can access net things are fine..
But I cannot install any .dmg file i.e safari.dmg file
after downloading it and from the download manager when I double click the .dmg file and click on Reveal in Finder and then double click on .dmg file on desktop, it opens with acrobat reader instead of mounting it.

please help me out.. how come it is getting associated with acrobat reader...
how to change file extension mapping with application.

thanks in advance...
subhra

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Guys....
I have a imac system with OS 8.6 I cannot upgrade OS as I am not authorised to... all I need to do is run safari on this to test our web pages in
mac environment.

my imac system can access net things are fine..
But I cannot install any .dmg file i.e safari.dmg file
after downloading it and from the download manager when I double click the .dmg file and click on Reveal in Finder and then double click on .dmg file on desktop, it opens with acrobat reader instead of mounting it.

please help me out.. how come it is getting associated with acrobat reader...
how to change file extension mapping with application.

thanks in advance...
subhra

Sorry to inform you, but I don't think Safari runs in anything but OS X (10.3 and higher, I believe). You can however, download it for Windows.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I have a imac system with OS 8.6

This is your main problem. Safari will not run on this old operating system nor will you be able to easily open .dmg files on it, let alone install the downloaded apps.

What kind of iMac is it? Doesn't sound useful or relevant enough for site testing, to be honest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.