Help on downloading and internet connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by itrancedance, Nov 25, 2008.

1. itrancedance macrumors newbie

1)
    For 90% of the time, when I shut my laptop and close it, re-open it, the internet stops working. So I go to system preferences, go to network, and it says that Airport is assigning my internet its own IP, which really isnt doing me any good. Do any of you guys know what Im talking about, and how to fix it? Or am I just gonna have to deal with it.

2)
    I downloaded some weird collective-download program, and ever since I removed it, I couldnt download .dmg's and other files that I want. Is there a way to fix this, and find the remains of that program I deleted?

Thanks for the help.

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

maybe it's time you just reinstall the operating system. you shouldn't have to live with either of those problems.

the first issue, however, I would also look into your router's firmware and make sure it's up to date.

3. itrancedance thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think its the OS because I got this macbook pro in august...I dont think that would help to reboot it. And I dont even have the installation disks and whatnot. Geek Squad did it for me.

How do I update the firmware, and see if I need to update it?
    All this stuff was installed not too long ago. new computer along with a new remodel (meaning new internet), so one would think all is great..