Help on finding a WIFI router w/ USB there supports APFS

MrkJensen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
I am looking for a WIFI router where I can connect a few USB drives. -Mainly for files in a primitive local cloud, but if it could work as a TC/Backup it would be nice.

I thought it was easy and I bought a Nighthawk RAX80 as they claimed they supported Mac. Well, not so much as USB drives formatted as APFS will not mount as NETAGEAR so now say the only support HFS and HFS+ so pre High Sierra. So that was returned...

I've looked around and it seems difficult to find a router there supports APFS. -I tried the usual suspects with no luck.

I hope I can find some help here

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Since macOS itself can use (and seems to prefer) SMB for Time Machine backups and file shares since a couple of years back, this is a non-issue. Just make sure to select something that utilizes a modern (SMB3.0+) implementation, or things will likely be considerably slower than with APFS, for some reason.

EDIT:
Sorry for the brainfart: APFS the file system and AFP the network protocol are very different things. Still my advice stands: At this point there’s no sense in trying to find routers that provide APFS support. Also, for network shares, the file system on the remote disk is mostly irrelevant to the client.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrkJensen

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
APFS is not intended to be a network share solution. It is a local file system intended to be more efficient for the OS on the local machine.

I don't even think Time Machine is supported on APFS partitions, be they directly connected by USB, etc, or network. When a Catalina user selects a USB drive for TM, it is still formatted in the older macOS disk format.

Reactions: MrkJensen

satcomer

macrumors 603
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I am looking for a WIFI router where I can connect a few USB drives. -Mainly for files in a primitive local cloud, but if it could work as a TC/Backup it would be nice.

I thought it was easy and I bought a Nighthawk RAX80 as they claimed they supported Mac. Well, not so much as USB drives formatted as APFS will not mount as NETAGEAR so now say the only support HFS and HFS+ so pre High Sierra. So that was returned...

I've looked around and it seems difficult to find a router there supports APFS. -I tried the usual suspects with no luck.

I hope I can find some help here
You want the Synology RT2600ac.

Yes you can with the router connect a USB3 drive to work as Time Capsule drive:

MrkJensen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
Thanks for all the great comments, and I might be a head of myself with APFS. I did consider using SMB and guess I need to understand it better.

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
APFS is not intended to be a network share solution.
It is not a great choice for hard disks due to poor performance. It is best for SSDs.

If you are buying a new router you might want to consider one that supports ax. Prices are dropping.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Thanks for all the great comments, and I might be a head of myself with APFS. I did consider using SMB and guess I need to understand it better.
File system choices for external -

• APFS: As discussed, no real advantage, several disadvantages for externals
  • HFS+: Legacy default for Macs, bootable, good performance, not useful for Windows
  • ExFAT: Reasonable performance, Read/Write on both Macs and Windows

HFS+ Journaled is the best for external drives for Most Mac users.

ExFAT is best if you need to use an external for both Macs and Windows.

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
If you get the Paragon NTS driver (which enable writes) you could add that to your list.