Help on formatting WD passport.. urgent!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oyebto, Oct 23, 2008.

1. oyebto macrumors regular

just bought a belkin usb hub den plug my WD passport hard disk in, everything is fine, time machine is successful on it, den when i try to eject, it doesnt. i plugged it out and they come out with tat warning sign. after tat i plugged the hard disk directly into my mac but nothing happen. the image did appear

however, when i plug it into my windows pc, it is detected and they sae its ready to use, but i am unable to see the disk in my computer... so guys do u have ani solutions? is there ani wae to reformat the hard disk? my windows did detect its WD passport so dun think its faulty..i think something wrong with the time machine structure...

oh aniwae, the harddisk did not appear under disk utility also..

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Open Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder on your mac. You should see the drive there. You can try repairing it or just format it if you don't care about the data you have on it.

You should avoid disconnecting the drive until it is unmounted by OS X. You may have to wait a bit more, close all applications that may be using the drive. Eventually shutdown the mac before disconnecting to avoid any damage.
    I own a similar model and I don't have any problem ejecting it with the usual eject button near the drive icon.

Windows sees the drive but is not able to mount the filesystem, due to the different formatting. to use it in windwos you need to format it again in a compatible format or use a third party utility.

3. oyebto thread starter macrumors regular

i typed above that i cant see the drive under disk utility..

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Ah sorry missed the last line...

If you didn't try rebooting your mac, you never know. Also try connecting it to a different USB port and check Disk Utility again.

If it doesn't work I think your drive is dead.

As a last resort also try connecting it to windows, right click on My Computer and select "manage" and then Disk Management. Does the HD shows up there?

5. oyebto thread starter macrumors regular

hey guys thanks for all the help and advice. i managed to get the problem fixed already so i might as well share it here just in case it happens to one of you

as u noe windows is able to detect my time machine backup disk, so i downloaded macdrive demo, used it to format my disk in HFS+, and voila, it worked perfectly on my mac again, although i lose all my data, but since its TM backup, and my mac is still running, not much is lost.

just remember to eject the disk before plugging it out.

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Happy you managed to resolve your strange issue. ;)