Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
i want to run boot camp but have windows installed on the external hard drive which one would be better?

good luck with that

i never got windows to let me install it on an external...it dosent like it, something about how when its booting it shuts down external drives to load drivers or something like that..im not really sure but thats what i read, i got errors during install saying it couldnt communicate with the device, even though it detected it

iamjustin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
well u probably just saved me 2 hours of time wasted haha. but thats really lame. but out of those two which is the better hard drive?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Is there some reason you need it to be mobile and.or USB powered?

Myself I would stay away from USB only drives and drives with 1 year warranties. Instead I would get a Firewire or Firewire/USB enclosure like a MacAlly PHR- series, and install the OEM hard drive of my choice. That will get you a 3 year (Western Digital) or 5 year (Seagate) warranty on the mechanism.. If you choose a desktop sized (3.5") drive and enclosure, you will also have a faster and more reliable mechanism.

CaptainCanuck

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2005
Depends on what you need it for. If you need portability, go for the one at FutureShop. If the HD is staying at home, go for the one from Staples.

Both LaCie and the WD MyBook Series tend to be reliable HDs. Of course, the MyBook may be slightly more reliable since it is a 3.5" Drive as opposed to the 2.5" Lacie Drive.

Edit: Yeah, what CanadaRAM said. Yeah, yeah...That's the ticket. ;-)

iamjustin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
but why wouldnt taht work installing windows xp on the external drive? if it had something to do with the drivers couldnt u backup ur whole osx on that external drive then install windows just to make sure all the drivers are on the same physical drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.