Help on installing X on unsupported machines

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seashellz, Jun 6, 2008.

1. seashellz macrumors 6502

I have an intel 2.0mhz 667 bus intel 17" late 2006 iMac. 3gb ram core 2 duo, 64bit

Recently I bought on eBay a grey "iMac 10.4.11" disc-2007

Then 10.5.3 came out- I decided to buy a grey 10.5.2 disc-2008
    "For Macintosh Computers" 2008-generic if ever, eh?

well both are VERY machine specific!

I was refunded, and told to keep the discs: there was no way to know ahead of time to if these would work or not, no matter how much research you did-unless you had one in front of you

Digging down into the .mpkg OSInstall folder, then into DISTRIBUTION, a text editor opens a wonder world of info-geek talk:

"If install encounters BAD MACHINES then FAIL install =true"
    [iMac 5,1;iMac 6,1;imac 7,1; iBook 3,1; etc]=Bad Machines

[If we cant find it here, then we'll assume its OK to install]

Then there is a "Look for 867 buss speed- if under that, FAIL install= true"

Something of that nature...
    --
    Now I KNOW there are ways around this, as others say they have done it;

Even Mac OS X hints has a guide on how to.

Now im no newbie, but i just havent been

able to make a bootable install disc-the best ive done is an EFI boot disc-

which doesnt boot.

Anyone care to WALK me through it as if I knew nothing? I think some of the instructions ASSUME this and that-as techies often do-as they assume you know what they know-so you come up against dead ends

I dont have any external storage save 3 1mb pocket drives, nor another intell mac

Used to be you could at least put a grey imac disc on all imacs-et al

In order to edit you must deconstruct the locked .dmg file, drag to a desktop folder, edit: erase the "Bad" list, ie: [] and kick 667mhz up to 867;

thats where I get lost-it seems that in order to be able to edit the locked .dmg, something breaks-restoring it back to a .dmg again gives me a useless EFI boot disc.........seems that Tiger and Leopard have slightly differing methods also.

...anyone?

2. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

If you are trying to install on non iMac you will probably get no help since it is against EULA. If I have misread your post and you are trying to install on an iMAC please let us know but it sounds like you are trying to get on illegal hardware.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You can't edit a CD or DVD from Apple, they are unwritable, it would be better to take the legitimate route and buy a retail Leopard DVD, which works and has drivers for all Apple computers that can run it (the gray disk doesn't).

4. seashellz thread starter macrumors 6502

---
    a legally purchased Intel iMac Legally purchased ie not bootleg- a grey Panther install disc "for iMacs" 10.4-"for Macintosh computers" the 10.5

I dont think you would even void your warranty because- as you are modifying nothing but the disc, ie lowering the 887mhz speed limit-to 667 and burning your own disc-after all its "For Mac/iMac Computers"