Help on Mac purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pearsonnunn, May 22, 2013.

1. pearsonnunn, May 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013

pearsonnunn macrumors newbie

As the title suggests I need some help deciding my next apple purchase. I currently have a 2010 white macbook that I bought used last year, but as my demandes increase my poor macbooks performance decreases and along with that the battery is starting to lose charge... Anyway I feel that it is time to step into the future and upgrade to the next generation of apple computers. Right now I am spending most of my time on my macbook doing the following: programming, gaming, and web browsing. Occasionally I do like to mess around play with more resource intensive apps like adobe (photoshop, light room, etc.). I currently have $1250, but I'll be getting paid soon so I'll have about $2000. I currently think I want the 13 inch rMBP baseline, but I am worried about the following things...

>No dedicated graphics
    >Low storage (currently have 128gb so not that big of a deal)
    >Only 8gb of ram
    >Screen ghosting

I would like your input because I have no idea what I'm doing at this point. Would it be better to get the 15 inch for the dedicated graphics? I don't want to give up gaming on my mac because I like it better than gaming on xbox or playstation, so would the Intel hd 4000 be enough? I know there is an event in June, but will they update the retina line then? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. simsaladimbamba

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Wait until June. They will most certianly (95% chance I think) update all laptop Mac lines then, maybe not the cMBP.

4. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

What do you think the changes on the MBA line will be? Any chance for a retina MBA being announced?

Also, any speculation on how the upgrades will effect the prices? Will they likely be the same prices as current models and all previous models will become cheaper?

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

No rMBA this year, as it would basically be a rMBP.

Changes should mostly be processor and graphics, but also AC wifi and maybe other small changes.

Prices: maybe $100 for Air, maybe $100 drop for rMBP 13 and $200 for the rMBP 15", but only if they discontinue the cMBP 15 and/or 13.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

How would you be giving up gaming on your Mac? Even the current Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics are night and day difference compared to your existing MacBook's graphics. So at the very least, you will have a better experience.

I have a 2012 13" MBA base model (4GB memory and 128GB SSD). Here is what I use it for and do not experience any lag, slowdowns, beachballs or anything of that nature: programming (Xcode, Eclipse, Netbeans, Android Studio), virtual machines (Linux, Windows running IDEs), Mail, Safari, iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, office suites (iWork and Office), Photoshop, Final Cut Pro X, Aperture and Matlab. I also play the occasional (or more) game of League of Legends with High/Medium settings, clamshell mode and on an external display with full 1080P HD resolution with 30-40 FPS.

I recommend the MBA unless you like the Retina display and other Retina-only features like HDMI, second Thunderbolt port and slimmer/improved form factor. I personally feel the 15" MBP (non and Retina) is too big and clunky even though it has discrete graphics. In your case, except for gaming, you really don't need discrete graphics. All of your bottlenecks are CPU, RAM or HDD/SSD.

7. pearsonnunn thread starter macrumors newbie

Right now I have dedicated graphics so I wasn't sure if moving down to integrated would hurt me, especially since half the games don't support HD3000 (I'm not sure about the HD4000 though). I see what you are saying, but I would prefer the MBP just because of the processing power and HDMI capabilities. Some games I play are bioshock 1 and 2, cod 4, and borderlands 1 and 2, which is why I'm worried about the lack of dedicated graphics in the air and 13 inch pro. I'm not sure why I'm bottlenecking I think it might be cpu, because I have 8 gigs of ram.

----------

Awesome, I think I will push through with my current macbook until the new ones come out.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Any white MacBook does not have dedicated graphics. That is what I read from your OP.

I'm confused with what computer(s) you are talking about here, the one(s) you currently own and the one(s) you are looking at. 13" MBPs and 13" MBAs have relatively the same amount of computing and graphical power. As for a 15" MBP with dedicated graphics, it is an increase in both CPU and GPU when compared with any 13" Mac notebook. You can still get HDMI output using a cheap Mini DisplayPort adapter. Monoprice sells these for <$10 (I can't remember exact prices which also change over time). A Retina MBP just has this built-in, but also costs more. I apologize if this isn't what you are looking for, I just have trouble understanding how you went from "white MacBook" in your OP to "right now I have dedicated graphics" in the above quoted post.

9. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I would wait till june as we will maybe see haswell chips its not going to be night and day but it will at least be 6am to 8am

10. SMDBill macrumors 6502

I would either wait for Haswell or go 15" with dedicated GPU if you like gaming. You're already pushing an integrated GPU with the retina display on a 13" a fair bit so adding gaming on top would probably result in a disappointing experience.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Games don't tend to be terribly ram hungry. You don't have dedicated graphics. I'm not looking up the 2010 white one, but I'm assuming you read the name NVidia somewhere. Some macbooks had the NVidia version of integrated graphics (separate die, but sharing memory and still not that great in terms of performance). Anything from 2012 is faster than that. If you want a discrete gpu, you could look at a refurbished 15" rmbp assuming you're in the US. They're $1600 for the base model. Either way a new one will be on the way. The gains should be decent for gaming. NVidia is using the same architecture, but it may be better tuned. Intel's options are more stratified, but they will represent an upgrade over the HD 4000.