help on macbook. il be getting one. please

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jaspertang, Oct 31, 2008.

1. jaspertang macrumors newbie

in 2 weeks i will be getting the new macbook and it is my first mac. i heard imovie is very good so i will be using that my problem is i have a mini dvd camcorder that does not connect to USB or firewire. the only way to transfer the videos to the computer is to put the mini dvd in the dvd-rom. i know macbook has a slot in drive and i think it does not support the mini dvd. what are my options aside from getting a new camcorder? cheap options please. i also don't want to get an external drive.

this is the camcorder http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/digit...dcr-dvd705e/4507-6500_7-31943233.html?tag=sub

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Correct you cannot use Mini-Discs with any Apple slot load drive. What kind of camcorder is it? There are NO?? options for plugging it in? Cause otherwise there's no real solution here other than get a new camcorder or external drive.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

There are devises that you can purchase to use the composite or S-Video output from your camera and covert it to USB. I'm not very familiar with them but HERE is one site I found with Google....I'm sure there's more.

Good luck with your new MacBook -GDF

4. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

I find it strange that you cannot use the disks in Apple's slot loading drives, when the Wii's can do this just fine with the GameCube discs...Am I missing something?

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Some Mac drives can handle them actually. However you have no way of knowing if yours can until you try. (And perhaps fail :eek:)
    Obviously AppleCare wouldn't cover this repair so to most it is not worth the risk.

To the OP, why not just buy a cheap external DVD drive? Might be cheaper than some of the other options mentioned.

6. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I've got a Xbox 360 HD-DVD player connected to mines, it acts as my 2nd optical drive. Doesn't play HD-DVDs but works fine for DVD's and normal CD's.

Ideal for when you want to burn discs (disk to disk). I got the HD-Player a few months ago for £14.99 on Amazon when HD officially lost the media battle. Not bad eh.

7. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

What?!?!? Why the hell did you connect an HD DVD player to mines?!!! And why did you use mines instead of grenades?

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Lol, I was confused (because I kept reading the first sentence over and over) until I read the word grenades.

9. jaspertang thread starter macrumors newbie