Help on multilingual typing

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by dcaccount, Apr 15, 2019.

1. dcaccount macrumors regular

Hello,

I have never been able to set up multilingual typing. My main language is Italian and I usually write mails also in English and German.

I have added the languages under Dictionary (Italian, Italian- English, English, German, Italian- German....) and the three keyboards.

Nevertheless if it is set the Italian keyboard, I just get suggestions in Italian and no for English.

What in your opinion am I doing wrong?

I use the latest IOS. Actually also on my iPad I have the same issue so it should not be depending on the device.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Mayanja macrumors regular

Do you actually switch keyboards using the globe icon? Long tap it and pick a language.

3. dcaccount thread starter macrumors regular

Yes this is what I usually do.

But shouldn’t iOS detect the language without forcing me to switch keyboard?

4. PhilHeron macrumors newbie

Have you also added the languages under General>Language and Region>Other Langauges?

5. dcaccount thread starter macrumors regular

No there not, I have added the languages under Dictionary and then the keyboards.

6. pika2000 macrumors 601

I never get this to work either that I assume it was never implemented.

7. PhilHeron macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2019 at 9:12 AM ---
    My iPad (and iPhone) language is set to English and I have Spanish and a couple of other languages added under General>Languages and Regions. I can type in English or Spanish and it offers me appropriate spellings etc, whichever keyboard I am using.

8. pika2000 macrumors 601

That doesn't work for me. I am wondering maybe it's only for specific languages.

9. Mayanja macrumors regular

No. It absolutely should. I find ios switching languages t random by itself all the time which is very frustrating.

I have Dutch and English iMessage threats, but iOS can't remember what to use.

10. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

It works on my iPhone but I never got it to work on my iPad Pro or iPad Air 2. in fact I only got it to work after using an back up from my old iPhone 7 Plus when I got my Max. On my old iPhone 6 it doesn’t work either. Settings are exactly the same