Help on my iphone firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by joms, Sep 1, 2009.

1. joms macrumors member

Hi,

Ive really tried several times reading the FAQ and some of its links but the amount of info just got me so dizzy which is why i just thought of asking for help.

My problem: How do i upgrade my iphone(1st gen)- 8GB from firmware 1.1.2 to the latest firmware 3.0.1 (this is the latest right?). What's the easiest way?

My details:
    a) I think my iphone is already jailbroken because i can use it here in our country (Philippines). Iphone isn't really offered here.
    b) I'm using Microsoft Windows XP and Vista. Can it be done with this or do i need a MAC?
    c) My iphone is a 1st Gen 8GB model

Thanks so much.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Ummm.. plug it in, and in iTunes click update/restore? You will need to rejailbreak it with redsn0w afterwards if you want it jailbroken.

3. joms thread starter macrumors member

oh damn is that hard? i though i only have to upgrade it and not re-jailbreak it again. Is redsnow the best app to use to re-jailbreak it? or Winpwn is better/easier? The guide in the FAQ only is for the firmware 2.0/2.01 version. Is there a guide for the version 3.01?

umm by the way, how do i know if my iphone(gen1) has been "jailbreak" already? I forgot that this guy that hacked my iphone like 2 years ago placed a sim on top of my sim then inserted it to the sim slot. Im not sure if he did something else. Do i need to remove the sim that he sticked to my simcard?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Winpwn isn't compatible with 3.0. Your only choice is redsn0w.

5. joms thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, im now reading on redsnow.

by the way, what is the best way to backup your data? phone numbers, pics. Is itunes the prefered way or is there a better/faster program. thanks

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

iTunes FTW.