Help on my Macbook purchase, my first one

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I/wanna/mac, Oct 5, 2008.

1. I/wanna/mac macrumors newbie

I've been reading all the rumors recently about the impending Macbook update and now its just around the corner I'm going to wait it out. But if the 14th is the day i want to go in there and know exactly what to purchase.
    My dad has a company credit card which means he gets the Vat or tax off any purchase we make, and this is where it gets tricky.
    Should i buy the middle of the road Macbook which is about my budget limit without the tax, or do i go for the base model and get all the accessories like Bose speakers, case, remote and Ipod all excluding tax.
    I'm going to be using the laptop primarily for school work as well as some gaming so i might not need the extra Hardrive space but would i need 2GB ram as it almost seems a necessity?
    Please help me out i've been thinking about this for ages

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Do you really need to make a post about this? If you want/need the acessories, buy a base model with accessories. If not, buy a midrange one.

I'd recommend the 2GB of ram, and don't buy it from apple, and if you think you'll need a hard drive update an external may be better.

3. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Are you a student, why not try the student discount? And UK has the iPod promo running now so you'd be able to get a free iPod.

Based on what's out now, I'd recommend the second level MacBook since it is 2.4GH and comes with 2GB RAM(US anyway), the base has 1GB and 2.1 right? My goal would be to maximize goodies while minimizing price.

It's a completely fair question, why not? The OP wasn't asking about buy now or wait.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Since you are going for a "new" MacBook then nobody, but nobody, knows the prices or specs of the new machines so how can we advise which one to buy....

I think that's what JG271 was meaning by his post.....