Help on my MBP decision

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by flounder21, Jun 14, 2008.

1. flounder21 macrumors member

I am looking to buy a MBP this week and would like some input on which one of these 2 to buy as a desktop replacement which would allow me to run bot XP and Leopard smoothly. The 2 I am looking at are through Amazon of course are:

Apple MacBook Pro MB133LL/A ( Possible to upgrade to 4GB memory with this model?)

or

Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" Laptop (2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD SuperDrive) ** Newest one which isnt available yet.

I have a baby on the way and want to be able to do some video editing however I cant live w/o my gaming!

TIA

2. Twenty5 macrumors regular

I ordered mine few days ago and the specs were:

Custom configuration:

2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB <--- (I bought 4Gb from OWC, saved a lot of $)
    200GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x DL

All that for design purposes as well as video and photo editing. :p

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might consider saving $250 and get the 2.5GHz processor, instead of the 2.6GHz.... you probably wouldn't notice the difference. Instead, upgrade to 4GB of RAM and, if speed is more important than space, go with the 200GB, 7200 HDD, vs the 250GB, 5400. Getting the RAM from someone other than Apple will save about $300.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

4. flounder21 thread starter macrumors member

I read several places that the faster HD reduces battery life...fact or fiction?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Fiction. In fact, the opposite is true. It uses less battery, creates less heat and runs faster than the 250GB 5400 Drive.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard96.html

"POWER USAGE and YOUR BATTERY LIFE
    Many of you have asked if the 7K notebook drives will drain your battery faster or make your laptop run hotter. Here's a shocker: the 5K WD Scorpio averages 2.5 watts for read/write functions. The Hitachi 7K200 uses only 2.3 watts. When it comes to "active idle," the 5K WD drive requires twice as much power as the 7K Hitachi (2.0 vs 1.0 watts). In other words, the 7K Hitachi 200G notebook drive will have a lower impact on your MacBook Pro's battery life (and generate less heat) compared to the 5K WD 250G drive."

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

is the 7k only good for faster file transfer?

7. Twenty5 macrumors regular

Well it's the fastest! So in theory should be blazing fast for file transfers. (one probably wont notice any great speed bumps from transferring small files such as word documents, etc. But greater and bigger files (like video or movies) will definitely see an improvement.

Geeeee.... CANT WAIT FOR MY MAC TO ARRIVE! :eek:

8. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i dont care for fast file transfers, i dont transfer any files lol, and i do have alot of video file but they stay in one place.
    and how long is it going to take for your mac to come?

9. Twenty5 macrumors regular

Is going to be here by tuesday orwednesday...... from shanghai!

One of the things that I hate the most about Online Shopping?....... THE WAITING. :apple:

10. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Whatever you do buy your extra 2G RAM from a third party website and save yourself $200 dollars...takes 2 mins to install yourself...

MAcbook pro is a great machine - You'll love it whichever one you buy and for gaming the Nvidia graphics is a must.

11. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

I wonder if the power usage is brand specific or RPM specific? - this article is 1 year older - http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd7.html - but it may explain where the confusing information comes from...

(from the article)
    d) If you are concerned about battery usage (and heat generation), the 5400rpm drives had a lower wattage rating than the 7200rpm or the 4200rpm drives. Based on capacity, speed, and power usage, it's easy to see why Apple's standard drive choice for the MacBook Pro is the 5400rpm model.

12. flounder21 thread starter macrumors member

I guess the newer one is going to have the faster HD however it does not say it anywhere....

13. terrordemon macrumors member

quick question...

why "through amazon of course"?

14. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

No sales tax?

15. Twenty5 macrumors regular

Well i ordered mine in Hong Kong as Im currently taking summer courses over here......

Thankfully, Hong Kong is a Tax free region. So im all good

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

no, the price you see is the price you pay

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The article I quoted is from Nov. 2007, using the same brand and model currently in use by Apple on the MBP being sold now.

18. flounder21 thread starter macrumors member

Amazon b/c its easy, no tax, rebate....because there is no apple store anywhere near me. So the info I have compiled has told me to go with the second one which costs me more...:rolleyes: