Help on my upgrade dilemma

Discussion in 'iPad' started by triple-tap, Sep 24, 2015.

1. triple-tap macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I currently have an iPad 4th gen on ios 8.4.1. The tablet runs fine, and my uses are pretty limited. surfing the web in bed; using legal apps to search case law, statutes, etc. while waiting for hearings or depositions; watch videos while working out in my garage home-gym; using Bible apps and Pages to present lessons to our church's youth group, etc.

I also have an iphone 6+ and a 13" rMBP that I use for any heavy lifting. Other than the uses above, the ipad is considered a "3rd device" if you will.

Given the ipad air 2 offers (staples and the Target cartwheel app), I wanted to see what your opinion is on upgrading to an Air 2. Is it worth the upgrade, or will I really only be getting a lighter machine???

I have posted my ipad on craigslist as a feeler, and I've been getting consistent offers of $200 cash for the ipad 4. This would mean that I could effectively upgrade to an ipad air 2 for about $120-130.

Thanks in advance.

2. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

You would be extremely happy with the performance alone, on the air 2, compared to other iPads at the moment. If you can still score the deals going on now I would not hesitate to upgrade especially if you can get 200 for your iPad 4. I went with a 64gb air 2 and could not be happier. I am really optimistic that even though the air 2 is a year old, with the hardware inside this tablet, it will work smoothly for another 2 years.

3. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Of course you'd be happy with an Air 2 as it'd be snappier BUT if your iPad 4 is not your go to device it sounds like your current iPad is serving you fine. If your iPad was on its last leg or you didn't own one at all..maybe it would be a jump now situation, but I'm sure this won't be the last time this type of sale comes around. The hype of seeing everyone cash in on deals this week is hard to ignore. There could possibly be a better deal around Black Friday. If you've got the cash, go for it, or wait it out.

4. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

In my opinion, the iPad line had two gens that had genuine long-term appeal: the iPad 2, and the Air 2. If you can upgrade for $150 (or heck, even for $250), it's a great deal. You'll get a noticeably faster device with good battery life and a fantastic display. It's lighter and thinner too, though that wasn't a deal-maker for me (nice to have, though!). Surprisingly, I really appreciate the Touch ID feature, which I previously felt was gimmicky. But it's quite awesome and very easy to love.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Have to agree with this. Seems like the iPad is lower on the totem pole regarding usage so why spend the money? Sales always happen and time will just cause things to get even cheaper. Unless you really have to have it, I'd just keep using your current iPad.