Help on NVIDIA 2008 Class Action

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spolaria, Nov 11, 2011.

1. spolaria macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I've had the same symptoms of everyone else with the GeForce 8600M on my early-2008 MBP. Screen failures. Odd lines. But now my MBP is having problems starting up. I took it into the MacStore hoping they would honor the class action lawsuit, but when they ran the diagnostic, they informed me that the video card tested fine but that my logic board was failing. I've talked with both customer service and relations (which did nothing more than support). All have said they will do nothing unless the video card itself crashes, not merely that it caused the logic board to fail.

I really like my Apple products, but my former Dell lasted more than 3 years, and Michael Dell even admitted to sending out shoddy computers. My girlfriend had the infamous 2008 Macbook with the numerous hard drive failures, and Apple was a complete pain about fixing any of it. I want to stay with Apple, but after this, I'm seriously contemplating going to Windows for PC and Android for mobile.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Where do you live? Many countries have consumer protection agencies, which would be of great help in situation like this.

Other option would be to say that the GPU is soldered onto the logic board, hence they are basically one and the same. Even if the GPU worked, it might have caused the failure of the logic board.

3. spolaria thread starter macrumors newbie

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

did you go to an apple store or to some reseller?

You might also try to bring it in again, and hope to get a nicer person there.

5. spolaria thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple store. I have a reseller I've been to before. Maybe they would be more willing to help out.