Help on possible Power Mac G4 purchase!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Chris02058, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Chris02058 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and need your help. A local woman is selling her Power Mac G4 for 195.00 and I'm seriously considering purchasing it. She is about a half an hour away so I haven't seen the machine or know much about the specs, but I was wondering if you could tell from this screen what the other specs are and if it is worth it.

Thanks guys,

- - Chris

Attached Files:

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

As a hobby/utility type of machine, I'd say it's probably worth ~$125 or so, depending on what she is including with it like monitor, KB/mouse, software, as well as what video card and what size Hard drive is in it.

I would NOT recommend it as a first mac purchase and/or sole computer for anyone who wants to get things done quickly. Mainly because for just a little bit more $$, you could get a much faster & more powerful machine elsewhere....

FYI.....you can download Mactracker.app for specifications/info on every mac ever made so far. lookie here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/q...arch&str=mactracker&srchArea=macosx&submit=Go

3. TrapOx macrumors 6502

A single 800mhz G4 is worth about half of what the seller is asking.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

It looks like it's got 800mhz so that is a Quicksilver 2002 model. The 1.25gb memory is also good. If everything else is stock, that wouldn't really be worth more then $100. It is still be functional but will be slow by today's standard. It's still a good web surfing machine and will be able to handle sites like youtube.

Also what OS comes with it and what about accessories?

5. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

That is a really bad rip off. If you want a mac desktop, get a used eMac off of craigslist. The 1.42 ghz eMac goes for about $120-$150. That includes monitor, speakers, keyboard, and mouse. The sellers on CL usually include CDs and booklets and sometimes even the boxes. Keep looking my friend, that PowerMac G4 is not for you unless you just do email and web surfing.

If you are going PowerMac G4, then I would advise only looking at G4 Dual 1 ghz and up. Under 1 ghz is really pushing it, because it will not only become more obsolete as the years go by, but it cannot even run most modern programs.

Another option is a trusty PowerBook. I bought my 12" for 250 off CL. Great deal. Specs in the bottom. Try searching on Craigslist. It is a good site.

6. n8mac macrumors 6502

I bought a PowerMac G4 867 with 1gb ram in May 2008 on ebay for $100 + $50 shipping. It is a great solid machine. I use it as my main machine but I am running older software (OS 10.4, OS 9). If you want the latest software like OS 10.5 then you will have to get a newer Mac. But if you don't mind running older software and want to tinker with upgrades that machine will do fine. But you could really get a better deal.

7. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Hard to recommend an eMac these days. An absolute pain to work on, the can the internal display connectors have a tendency to fail. (I have a 1.25 USB 2.0 eMac that I upped to 1GB ram and a 200GB disk.)