Help on purchase decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vstephenson, May 8, 2009.

1. vstephenson macrumors member

Hi

wondering what you folks think...

Bought, in Japan, an alu iMac 2.8 (2007) with 4gb ram and was using for my photography in conjunction with a 2nd 19" monitor

iMac screen has developed black lines all over the LCD (like small scratches) and to replace LCD here in Turkey is very expensive (like new iMac expensive) and I am thinking of buying a new set up (kinda lost confidence in the iMac after this experience with the screen)

Was thinking to sell off iMac and buy a MacBook Pro (15") and the LED 24" to use as primary screen.

Was wondering what you guys thought of this set up and how much performance difference (positive or negative) I might experience

Was thinking to buy the MBP with 4GB, thinking that for the photography work this rig might be better because of the better grfx capabilities of the MBP over the 2600 card in the iMac

Anyway, any thoughts?

Cheers
    Vin

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I recently went from an iMac 24" to a Macbook Pro myself and so far I am loving the move, Don't get me wrong i love my iMac and it never gave me problems but i moved to a duplex condo with the office upstairs so i wanted something that i can take downstairs and use while i watch tv. Anyway so i go the 24" display which i keep in the office but i seldomly use it, I just love the Macbook Pro screen so much and it's the perfect size to use anywhere in the house. Anyway i strongly reccomend it I'm sure you will be happy with this decision. the MBP can do anything your iMac can and adds the portability factor :D

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is not clear. Are they physical scratches, as in you've rubbed the screen with steel wool, or could it be a graphics card issue? If it's the former then I don't really know what to tell you. If it's the latter then you should look into how much it costs to replace the graphics card.

4. vstephenson thread starter macrumors member

for clarity

Miles

They appear to look like lots of little scratches but when you remove the front perspex cover and examine the LCD it looks fine

When you switch it on however and have a white background they are all over the screen, something really wrong with the LCD

Other people have mentioned it in support forums (I posted too) but no solution is ever mentioned other than replacing LCD

Its really annoying because they only really show up on white (or really light colours) and started off in one area of the screen but now are all over

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ah, that sucks.

The Macbook Pro is a great machine, but I think you could save money and buy a different screen than the 24" ACD. At least once MDP to DVI dongles become more available.