Help on replacing MacBook Pro 15" with the new one

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PitchBlak14, Jun 8, 2009.

1. PitchBlak14 macrumors newbie

About a week or so ago, my mom ordered a MacBook Pro 15" off of Apple's website, and the cost came around to $2063 CAN. She also got the deal to recieve a free iPod Touch with the purchase of a MacBook, that we still need to send the rebate in before the end of the week (this might come into effect later).

It shipped on June 3rd, and she received the computer this past Friday. We've had it for three days now, and we're still under the 10 day return policy.

Then I saw the announcement of the new updated version today, with not only updated specs, but also for a cost less than what she paid! (We're looking at the lowest configuration of the 15", at $1699 US, $1999 CAN)

We called customer survice about this. Thankfully we got the $150 difference back. However, we were told that, if we should send it back to get the new version of this MacBook, we'd have to pay a $211 restocking fee, as well as the cost of shipping it back (the shipping cost, we were already expecting). If so, the $150 we received back would go toward that.

Now here are my questions. First off, if we do decide to send it back to replace it, would we have to send the free iPod Touch that came with it?

Second, does the 10 day policy not come into effect at all here? I'm confused about that one.

And lastly, would this new upgrade be worth forking over the difference we got back, plus 61 bucks and shipping fees? I do have to say, a longer battery, better screen, and larger RAM and GHz is good.

Any advice is greatly apprechiated! :)

2. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I think it does, its cheaper got better speed, we will finaly got a sd slot , I love the price of the new 15 in macbook pro , I can finally afford it :D

3. PitchBlak14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right now, the only differences I'm seeing between the current one I own, and the new one, is the 2 extra GB of RAM and intergrated graphics. And the SD slot isn't a big deal. Everything else is the same, I assume?

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

The battery capacity was significantly increased.

5. PitchBlak14 thread starter macrumors newbie

And the new MacBook Pro has a non-removable battery?

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Yes correct , you cant change it

7. PitchBlak14 thread starter macrumors newbie

But the earlier versions, like what I have now, are able to have their battery removed?

8. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Yes only the old 17 in macbook pro cant change the battery , all the rest you can change it yourself

9. PitchBlak14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, okay. I was confused about that. I'm thinking it over, and seeing that my mom doesn't worry too much about battery power and that the 2 extra gigs of RAM would sort of cancel out the slower processing of the intergrated graphics anyway, I might as well just leave it be.

Thanks for the info! :D

10. immemorial macrumors member

How much did you have to argue with Apple in order to get offered the $150? I just ordered an MBP last week (haven't even received it yet actually), and I'm a little chafed at the extra $200-300 I paid. I wasn't going to call them to get a partial refund, but since it worked for you, I think I'll give it a shot.

11. Aboo macrumors 6502a

The other difference is that the new 15" macbook pros don't have an express card slot. Only the current 17" macbook pro does. All in all, I think the WWDC conference was good to wait for if you wanted a laptop. Iphone, on the other hand, well thats another story.

12. PitchBlak14 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was lucky to get mine in before the 10 day refund policy finished, and I think that's what earned me back the $150. I actually had to argue more to be even be able to send it back (which I'm not anymore).

It depends on where you live, though. Canada, it's 10 days, US is 14 days.

13. immemorial macrumors member

Ahh. Did you get your MBP built to order? Mine is and I don't think I'll be able to return it. I am in Canada though, and it's only been about 6 days since I ordered it. I'll give them a call tomorrow, but if you're right about the refund thing, I'm probably out of luck.

14. PitchBlak14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Give it a try anyway. :)