Help on Restoring Backup to new iPad 4

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jerrydpi, May 28, 2013.

1. jerrydpi, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013

jerrydpi macrumors member

Hi guys

I need your help again.

I sold my iPad 3 two months ago and backed up all it's data to my HP computer that's running Windows 7.

Well, I couldn't live without a iPad anymore, so I just purchased a iPad 4 (as well as a 13" MBP).

I'm setting up the iPad 4 now, and it's asking if I want to:
    1) Set Up as new iPad.
    2) Restore from iTunes Backup.

Obviously I want to Restore from iTunes Backup, but that's where I'm having a problem.

The HP I backed up the files to has been acting weird lately when I try to connect to the Internet, so I've disconnected the Internet/Ethernet Cable from the PC.

I can see all my backup files on the PC by going to:
    \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

When I connect the iPad 4 to the PC, nothing happens.

When I try to open iTunes on the PC, I get a message that says files are missing and I need to reinstall iTunes.

So what can/do I do, and can iTunes be reinstalled without connecting to the Internet?

Thanks!

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Make a backup of your backup folder.
    Reinstall iTunes, it won't require internet (if you have the installer!), BUT, I think at the end it needs to check your iOS version with Apple so you'll have to get online (and also I think for activating your new iPad).

If all went right, your backup should appear there and you should be able to restore (init in this case) from that backup.

This should come handy as well.

3. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Sounds like we should address the issues with your computer first. You said when you connect the iPad to it nothing happens. Do you mean, iTunes doesn't load or do you mean the computer doesn't recognize the iPad?

4. Janetell macrumors newbie

If I'm not late, I solved it with iPad backup restore. Backed up every app individually to an ipa with app+records. Then reset to factory, restored old iTunes backup and did the same again for the other apps. Now I have all apps on the computer with its corresponding data and don't rely on partially implemented backup solutions.