Help on setting up new iCloud account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raf66, Nov 3, 2016.

1. raf66 macrumors regular

Hi all. I've been enjoying my new iPhone 7+ for the last few weeks. It's nice to be back in iOS as I've been using a Galaxy Note 4 for the past 2 years. But as you'll see from my question below, I don't quite have the hang of iOS yet.

My wife and kids and I all share the same Apple ID, iCloud and iTunes accounts. I'm tired of getting the family's contacts and music on my phone, and want to set my stuff up separately. I tried to set my phone up as new when I got it, but I must not have followed the steps correctly because all of their stuff came over to my phone.

Is it possible to set up a new iCloud account on my current iPhone 7+? And assuming it is, will changing things mid-stream affect the phone as I now have it set up? I just want to have my own doggone iCloud/iTunes/Apple ID. Would someone mind walking me through it? I'm obviously remedial in iOS but I follow directions well.

Thank you.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You have a few options.

First, yes, you can change your Apple ID. You'd log in online and change it there. That would keep everything under you. Everyone would keep everything they have already, but everyone will also be forced to create new Apple IDs and any new content would show up seperately from the current content.

So simply changing your Apple ID benefits you, but will cause everyone else to seek their own.

Alternatively, you can keep your current Apple ID and turn on Family Sharing. This will still force everyone else to get their own ID, but you maintain control of your current ID. When it comes to apps anything YOU download is shareable to the rest (i.e., they can also download it if you purchased it).

Lastly, you can keep your ID and force everyone else to go and get their own ID. It means starting over for them.

There is no easy way for you to keep your ID yet seperate everyone. Someone is going to be getting new Apple IDs (either you or your family members) and starting over.

It's possible that Apple can do something on their end, but you'd have to talk to them.

3. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks eyoungren. So would it be possible to simply change my iCloud account without changing the Apple ID? And assuming it is possible, would that accomplish at least some of what I'm trying to do?

Thanks again.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Your iCloud account is your Apple ID. So if you want to keep your Apple ID the same, everyone else will have to get new Apple IDs.