HELP!!! On the verge of going DELL

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazfocus, Feb 7, 2008.

  1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #1
    I have been waiting for a MBP update since August last year and I am getting somewhat fed up with the day after day/week after week waiting.

    I have been looking at the Dell XPS systems today which are £800 for a similar spec to the MBP (actually a better spec).

    Please convince me to continue waiting for the MBP :(
     
  2. Sky Blue Guest

    Sky Blue

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2005
    #2
    If they're cheaper, with a better spec..why not go for it?
     
  3. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

    Silver-Fox

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    England
    #3
    you have been waiting since august for yours?
    why not just go to an apple store and tell them that you been waiting this long and see what they can do
     
  4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

    nbs2

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2004
    Location:
    A geographical oddity
    #4
    If you can afford to wait, then wait. Clearly much of the price/spec difference will be made up after the bump. How much is speculative, but it may be worth it. If you can't wait, then just go with whatever you are more comfortable with.
     
  5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #5
    Lol I like the logic but not really likely to make any difference.
     
  6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #6
    What good could this possibly accomplish? They're hardly going top turn round and pull a new updated MPB out their collective behinds are they?
     
  7. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

    ^squirrel^

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2006
    Location:
    England
  8. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

    Silver-Fox

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    England
    #8
    calm down, just a suggestion more than you provided
     
  9. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #9
    Video editing, Web Design, etc...

    All software I have (apart from Logic Studio and FCS2), I have for both Mac and Windows, but I just prefer the whole Mac OS
     
  10. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #10
    Many of my friends have had major issues with their XPS and
    Alienware laptops....stay away!!! Poor componet quality!
     
  11. scienide09 macrumors 65816

    scienide09

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #11
    Especially since they had been updated not long before, with the move to Santa Rosa and the better GPU?
     
  12. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #12
    When I started waiting, I was oblivious to the fact they'd not long ago been updated :p
     
  13. Batt macrumors 65816

    Batt

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2007
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    #13
    This is exactly why I bought at the end of November. I wated for Leopard, then waited for the "guaranteed" MBP update, then just bought one. The wait will kill you, a new MBP (even if they revise it the next day) will not.
     
  14. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

    basesloaded190

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #14
    that should be the reason you wait. i think os x is a deal breaker for a lot of people here.
     
  15. Consultant macrumors G5

    Consultant

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #15
  16. Freyqq macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2004
    #16
    i can't see how that could possibly be accurate. Look up alienware.

    they run with desktop chips and SLI graphics and weigh 10+ pounds.
     
  17. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    #17
    Can the alienware's be considered laptops? :p

    I would need one hell of a lap! As you say, they are soooo heavy!
     
  18. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #18
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Maybe I'll buy the low end (1.6GHz) XPS now and then in a month or 2, buy the MBP but I'm really not sure.

    I just need a new computer now but the current MBP's aren't worth the money.
     
  19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

    KingYaba

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2005
    Location:
    Up the irons
  20. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

    Mac OS X Ocelot

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2005
    #20
    That's waaaaaay overpriced for a Dell :p
     
  21. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

    greenmeanie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2005
    Location:
    AmigaWarez
    #21
    Go for the dell.


     
  22. TowerRat macrumors newbie

    TowerRat

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2006
    Location:
    Washington State USA
    #22
    Waiting

    I have had more than 5 Dell laptops. When the MBP (Intel chip) first came out I thought.... I would give it a shot.

    I now own no Dells. I have the 17" MBP & iPhone.

    Personally, It is worth the wait......

    Good Luck

    Dave C.
     
  23. Mark16q macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2008
    Location:
    Agoura, CA
    #23
    If you need a tool for a job, buy the tool. For me, I need both PC and Mac, and have no problem with that. Ultimately would be nice to lug only one machine around, but as long as the bills are getting paid :) I'll get what I need. When time permits will try to get bootcamp, etc working to eliminate the Lenovo, but an extra 6 pounds isn't the end of the world right now.

    and fwiw, I've only had good experiences with any Dell machines purchased. Pay a few extra dollars for the gold support if they offer it, and all will be well.

    mg
     
  24. darfel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    NorCal
    #24
    Did you sell your replacement MBP?
     
  25. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #25
    Considering it's a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB Ram, 250GB Hard Drive and a 256MB nVidia 8600 graphics card, I don't think it's overpriced.

    Unfortunately, yes :( in anticipation for a new MBP...Big mistake if you ask me. Wish I'd kept it now
     

Share This Page