Help on Timing My iPod Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anirban, Jul 2, 2007.

1. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Hello all!

I have $350 tucked away so that I can purchase a kick a$$ iPod... the trouble is I don't know when I should make the leap. I purchased a MBP with the free iPod (more like $150 for 80GB)- but that was free, and I gave it away to my gf. (yeah let her have the old one, im waiting for the latest one:D )

So anyone have any ideas, or want to speculate on when the next revision of iPods will be coming out?

I am not interested in purchasing an iPhone, if that may affect your recommendations.

Thanks a lot!

2. mkgm1 macrumors regular

We're well overdue when it comes to the new iPod range, according to the buyer's guide. But given that the iPhone just came out, it seems unlikely that a new iPod will follow soon after and steal some of the attention.

I think the general consensus is that we should see new ones before Christmas. Other than that, I really couldn't speculate.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yeah, my guess is not until october or so - in time for holiday sales, but long enough after the iPhone that it doesn't cannibalize sales. Soo.. a while yet. Your call if it's worth it to wait or not.

4. epiphany macrumors regular

I disagree - I think it's September. Every year they clear out the iPod inventory by giving them away to students with a mac purchase during late spring-into summer. Then Apple springs a new iPod on us in September.
    iPhone buyers are a small subset of iPod buyers, so I don't think there's any 'scene stealing' going to happen with a new iPod.

5. jamesybsu macrumors regular

I agree - Apple will get a new iPod out there before Christmas time, but the real question is, whats going to be the new features?

6. seany916 macrumors 6502

Be patient. Wait. The next iPod will come. I have a nano for riding my bike and snowboarding. Wouldn't have minded a video though.

now have iPhone, if not for price of plans, I'd recommend it over the iPod.

The iPhone is pretty good on WiFi. Edge is annoyingly slow though.

But I've never owned a Sidekick or Crackberry, so no point of reference.

Expensive plans.