Help on waking from sleep

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GrantMeThePower, Feb 14, 2012.

1. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

Posted in the OSX lion forum, but did not get a response so I thought I'd try here:

Newest iMac (May 2011), base model, OSX Lion

Whenever my computer goes to sleep and i go to wake it up, it never wakes up right. My touch pad stops working correctly. I have to hit the power button to get it to reconnect and then it works fine with the cursor, but it doesnt recognize taps or multitouch...only clicks.

Also, when i launch a new app from the doc it doesn't bounce up and down. The dock light doesn't come on either (i have both of these set up and when i restart the computer they work correctly).

Microsoft Office Reminders also doesn't go away from the dock when i dismiss the reminder, it just sits there.

The other thing i've noticed is that when i "minimize" a window (i.e. safari browser with an active website) rather than 'hiding' in its icon on the desk it goes into the right side of the dock next to the trash can.

If i restart the computer or shut it down and then start from scratch everything works fine again.

This is driving me NUTS. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

PS I am running 10.7.3, but this was happening even before 10.7.3

2. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

3. wpotere Guest

Try deleting all of your network connections and re-adding them. Some have reported that this helps although it hasn't for me.

Bottom line is that Lion still buggy as hell.

4. pfml07 macrumors member

There are quite a few bugs in lion unfortunately. It may be worth deleting the sleep plist

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

5. pfml07 macrumors member

Oh and if you hold cmd and press h that will hide it in its icon. The minimize always goes to right hand side of dock

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

6. GrantMeThePower thread starter macrumors regular

What does "deleting the sleep plist" mean?

Before sleeping, or after a regular start up, when i double click the top of an open window they automatically go to hide behind the icon. This functionality of double clicking changes after sleep. That may have been a better way of putting it.

7. pfml07 macrumors member

There is a preferences file for most things and there a few for it's sleep cycle
    To Delete it on lion it's a bit of a pain but I will try to explain it the best I can

Make sure Finder is selected and then click on the word go at the top of the screen. Once this menu has dropped down hold the alt key and you should see the library folder appear in the list. Click on Library. In the Library folder you are looking for the Preferences folder and then delete the file com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

You will also need to delete some files from the Library folder on the HD. This is a lot more tricky. Open Terminal and type this
    defaults.write com.Apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
    then press enter
    Then type
    killall Finder
    and press enter

The dock will disappear and re appear. This process now shows hidden files in Lion. DO NOT touch any other file than the ones I am going to tell you.

Now double click on Macintosh HD and go to the Library Folder and then the Preferences folder and then the System Configuration folder. and delete these two files

com.apple.AutoWake.plist & com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

The auto wake file may not exist. If it doesn't , don't worry. Now we need to hide the hidden files again so open terminal and type

defaults.write com.Apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
    press enter
    now type
    killall Finder
    press enter

Now restart your machine and see if you have the same issues. Hope that helped

8. GrantMeThePower thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!! I'll give this a shot tonight, let it sleep overnight and then check it again tomorrow.

I really appreciate your help.

9. LPZ macrumors 65816

Not helpful---but you beat me to it. :)

10. GrantMeThePower thread starter macrumors regular

pfml07

I deleted the file in the library, but when i type that line into terminal, i get this message:

-bash: defaults.write: command not found

11. pfml07 macrumors member

Sorry!

Sorry it was my fault
    try this instead

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

and the other one when you finish deleting the hidden file

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

Remember to
    killall Finder
    after each one

Let me know how it goes