help on what to do before selling Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrislaw, Jun 13, 2009.

1. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I am a Mac newb for the most part and am selling my 2.0 Macbook b/c i want to upgrade.

I believe that i can just insert the restore cd and i can tell it to install to the hard drive and it will erase and restore correct?

It will be the exact same as it was when i bought it and opened it two months ago? None of my personal info will be on there and it will be ready for the new owner to open up and get started?

sorry for the simpleness of all of this but selling a computer I've been using frightens me :eek:

2. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Run Disk Utilities from the restore disk and before erasing choose the 7-pass or 35-pass erase option. These write over the entire disk 7 or 35 times, respectively, making it impossible to recover anything.

BTW, this takes a long-long time. I have never run the 35 pass option, but did let the 7-pass option run a few times, went to sleep, and it was done in the morning.

I am paranoid about letting out old data too, so highly recommend doing an erase with an overwrite option.

3. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Paranoid much?

Seriously, a single pass is quite enough, unless somebody knows there's something on there that they want, knows what it is, and wants to jump through all kinds of hoops to find and recover it.

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I would be if i was selling mine, infact i would probably end up buying a new hard drive for it and restoring it and keeping the original.

6. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Yes, I agree. But, for me running a 1-pass is the same as a 7-pass in terms of effort. I set it up and let it run.

Paranoid - perhaps not. Overly careful - possibly yes. I have everything on my computers including financial information, Social Security Numbers, legal information, data and work proposals, etc. For me it is a question of privacy rather than someone using the information in a malicious manner.

Also, all old HDDs that have failed or been replaced get destroyed physically. And I do shred all paper too. My wife thinks that I am crazy.

7. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

One pass secure erase will be very sufficient.

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

You can't be too careful in this day and age

9. jake.f macrumors 6502

10. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I'm sure there are loads of ways. Jump on it, hit it with a hammer, throw it on the ground. If you meant physically destroy it.

11. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Yes, physically destroy it. Open it up, remove the platters and then take a propane torch to them :D

I do it outside though, as am not sure what toxic fumes are coming off.

Actually, it is rather fun. All the small screws and bits get removed for use in my model-building hobby, the platters get scorched, and all the extra metal goes to the local recycling center.

12. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

another question, hopefully i can get it solved without a new thread.

How should i go about selling this thing to ensure that i get my money?

I posted on craigslist and told that i prefered to do in person with cash. I said if all else fails i may ship with the cost going to the buyer. I do not wish to do paypal.

what do i do if i need to ship to ensure that i get my money? money order?

is it unreasonable to ask for the money to be recieved before shipping? to me that seems to be the only way, but is that acceptable to a buyer? how do they know I'm not scamming them?

13. mlee118 macrumors newbie

Escrow

Find a company that provides escrow accounts. The buyer places the money in, they contact you. You send the product and the escrow company pays you, less their cut of course.

14. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

hmm, seems like paypal... is this a fee based service?

I got this response today but never replied. Made me think that the next thing out of this guys mouth was going to be that he was a prince and needed me to hold some money for him.

Hi,
    I'm interested in buying your item I saw on Craigslist for a Gift,and the amount your selling it is accepted by me.I need you to do me a favour,You will be helping me in shipping it to West Africa.So do provide me with your via pay pal address for the payment or your full name and address for the payment any one comfortable for you is OK by me.i want you to consider the item sold to me.i need you now to go and remove the item from site and have it package in other to ship it because as soon as i have the information on how to make the payment,i will do it immediately,including the shipping fee of it.

Waiting to receive the address. Regards

15. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Absolutely not.

16. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

:lol: I know right? crazy

so anymore ideas? Is asking for a money order be received and successfully cashed before shipping unreasonable?