Help on wiping a mac's drive clean!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MaRXeDES, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaRXeDES macrumors newbie

hey...i've just bought an iMac G3 graphite 600MHz as a second computer. It has both OS 9 and OS X v10.0 installed on it. I need instructions on how to completely remove everything from the hard drive and starting out with a clean install of OS X v10.3. I got the installation discs from an ibook which i bought a couple of years ago...Any help would be appreciated!!

Thankx!

2. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

You'd normally put the install disc in the optical drive and just boot from it, (do a restart and hold the C key down) and then choose Erase and Install from the list of options. I think you'll have a bit of a problem if your install disc is from an iBook though, as the disc is obviously specific to that machine, not the g3 iMac. There might be a way round it, but none that I know offhand and I can't be bothered to Google it - you can do that for yourself anyway.
    The easy way out is to buy a full retail copy of 10.3 from fleabay or Craigs.

3. MuzikListner macrumors newbie

MuzikListner

Delete any personal data then restart with the installation disk in. when it asks you to install chose, i think its called, erase and install if it not erase and install the option will be obvious, when installed go to disk utility under applications/utilities. click on macintosh HD or whatever your hd is called and select erase free space under the erase tab and select zero out deleted files.

4. MaRXeDES thread starter macrumors newbie

oh man

oh man.....pls anyone who knows how to install it from my ibook discs help me!!

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's not going to happen here.

Please read the forum rules and the FAQ, thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.