Help on writing NTFS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patrickng89, Apr 26, 2010.

1. patrickng89 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I've been reading up alot about this topic on this forum and theu goggle and i realised that there's a few option in this issue.

Alot of ppl uses third party software such as NTFS-3G and MacFuse but i also found some ppl who just tweak with the mac osx ( by entering some lines in Terminal) such as this guy in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q_BrBk5KsI

My question is do both methods have the same effects and which method is better?

Also, if i were to partition my hdd in mac( as i want to install win 7 on it ) will i get the mac HD AND the windows HD on the OSX desktop?

Sorry for the whole bunch of questions as i have just turned to the dark side :)

Thanks in advance guys

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Neat trick, haven't seen it before though. The problem with that method is that it only works on the device you enter the UUID for. MacFuse and NTFS-3G are more "universal."

3. Bulldog321 macrumors newbie

you can use Ntfs-mounter. Which does essentially what the guy in the youtube video is doing but in an automated program method. (Snow Leopard has the ability to write/read built it to the OS, even though it has not been activated.) I have been using this on my iMac and I haven't had any problems.

4. critten macrumors member

i dont know why but macfuse/other one causes kernel panics for me...so i just use parallels and that boots up my boot camp. pretty darn fast -- just need more ram to make it comfy (that running + itunes + surfing = 3.4gb ram...out of 4!)

5. patrickng89 thread starter macrumors member

Does it mean that if I were the kind that practically runes OSX and Windows together via vmware fusion i would not need to do all that ntfs crap?

6. critten macrumors member

i don't know vmware but parallels is amazing but i have the new 2010 mbp. it runs together, or in windowed mode...just drag over files and when you plug the HD in it will ask if you want it in windows or mac. choose windows and move it in there. Easier in my opinion and leaves me the option to format or read ntfs on the go as i am a student and alot of my friends have ntfs hard drives they use and i cant use that unless i format and redo all of that junk. and parallels runs my boot camp partition no problems. only bad is i used 32gb for the drive and on my 160gb intel ssd it is a big chunk....but my school forces it on us anyways

oh but yeah ntfs for mac causes kernel panics when i move big files like movies. small files usually are ok but i hate crashes that are basically mac's curtain of doom ie blue screen of death!!!

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That's right. If you don't need to access files from OS X that reside on an NTFS formatted Boot Camp partition, there's no reason to enable writing to NTFS.

If you use Fusion you can just enable file sharing between OS X and the VM and you'll get the same effect.