Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nnrecord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2019
Help - OpenCore & Gigabyte TITAN RIDGE - Not Working

I have implemented OpenCore as shown below, Pin 3 to Pin 5 connected on Thunderbold card.
The System Report also showed Thunderbold 40Gbs.
However, when I mounted the Samsung QVO 250Gb SSD via thunderbold Type C port, I didn't see the SSD in Finder or Stogare
. Update: Fixed with thunderbolt cable

(My hard drive is still working fine on Macbook Pro and I connected the hard drive before turning on the computer)
There are two questions to ask:
1.Do you need to mount source for the thunderbold Card to get the hard drive?
NO NEED
2. Or am I missing something I haven't done yet?

Thanks @h9826790
I was able to use my Box SSD usb Type C, with a Thunderbolt cord. It does not get when plugging in the USB type C cable (That's the cause.)
However it is still an error. Thunderbold 2 port and DP IN 2 port do not work. I tested Thunderbolt port with my hard drive and thunderbolt cable (My 1 box ssd works and lights on. Port 2 doesn't light and doesn't show up in Finder). Display Port in 2 with my monitor. My Displayport 1 is ok.

Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you !

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.15.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.15.08 PM.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 567
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.15.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.15.51 PM.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

nnrecord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2019
You connected a monitor to the card's display port input?
oh, i understood the problem when you asked, i was wrong to not see it as INPUT.
I want to ask more, what is this INPUT used for?

nnrecord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2019
Connect it to your GPU output, therefore, you can use a Thunderbolt monitor via the Titan Ridge.
Can you please explain this question to me, sorry for asking a lot, since I have just learned about it.
"However, when I mounted the SSD Box Samsung QVO 250Gb SSD Type C port, I didn't see the SSD in Finder or Stogare."

motochan

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
Singapore
I have similar issues. The card looks like it's recognised by Mojave AND Catalina, but whenever I plug in my Promise Pegasus2 R4 via a TB2->TB3 adaptor, and the USB-C end of the adaptor into my Port 1 (USB-C on Gigabyte Titan Ridge), it first causes my screen to turn black, even as the enclosure seems to be "ready" (all blue lights), after which the MP5,1 does a reboot. The following screen post-reboot reports that my Mac has shut down due to an error (wait or press key to continue).

I ran the other firmware file (newer, has a "64" in the filename) assuming that it was a better fit for the Rev 2 cards, and jumpered the pins 3 and 5 (wouldn't be recognised otherwise). I had an existing OC instance that I merged the folder with the contents of that OC zip file.

I have another USB-C SSD enclosure that loaded fine on my 16" MBP but also fails to mount or be recognised in either Catalina or Mojave.

Has any rev 2 card owners ever gotten it to work? Can someone post links for their firmware and any EFI folder details to help us out? Many thanks~

motochan

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
Singapore
Alongside the Pegasus2 R4 drivers and Promise Utility installation comes a kext "PromiseSTEX.kext" that I installed using Kext Wizard, which promptly caused Catalina to not boot. I then OC-booted into my Mojave instance and sudo removed the incriminating kext. After that, I entered Catalina and attempted to plug the Pegasus2 R4 into port 2 (instead of port 1), to which the screen didn't black out, and the enclosure "loaded" and was detected by the Gigabyte Titan Ridge card (see image), but the volume fails to load.

At least I made progress, although I fail to comprehend what I did that made a difference.

Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 7.23.28 PM.png

nnrecord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2019
Is there anything in the USB page? (should be under the USB 3.1 Bus)
View attachment 954563

Thanks @h9826790
I was able to use my Box SSD usb Type C, with a Thunderbolt cord. It does not get when plugging in the USB type C cable (That's the cause.)
However it is still an error. Thunderbold 2 port and DP IN 2 port do not work. I tested Thunderbolt port with my hard drive and thunderbolt cable (My 1 box ssd works and lights on. Port 2 doesn't light and doesn't show up in Finder). Display Port in 2 with my monitor. My Displayport 1 is ok.

Sorry for my bad English.

Attachments

• IMG_4048 2.jpg
    IMG_4048 2.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 282

nnrecord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2019
I have similar issues. The card looks like it's recognised by Mojave AND Catalina, but whenever I plug in my Promise Pegasus2 R4 via a TB2->TB3 adaptor, and the USB-C end of the adaptor into my Port 1 (USB-C on Gigabyte Titan Ridge), it first causes my screen to turn black, even as the enclosure seems to be "ready" (all blue lights), after which the MP5,1 does a reboot. The following screen post-reboot reports that my Mac has shut down due to an error (wait or press key to continue).

I ran the other firmware file (newer, has a "64" in the filename) assuming that it was a better fit for the Rev 2 cards, and jumpered the pins 3 and 5 (wouldn't be recognised otherwise). I had an existing OC instance that I merged the folder with the contents of that OC zip file.

I have another USB-C SSD enclosure that loaded fine on my 16" MBP but also fails to mount or be recognised in either Catalina or Mojave.

Has any rev 2 card owners ever gotten it to work? Can someone post links for their firmware and any EFI folder details to help us out? Many thanks~

I am using Titan Ver 2. it has 1 error like I am mentioning. However, I am finding out if it was because I was wrong.

When I plug my UAD Twin device into port 1, my computer will reboot just like you.

hamishb2

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2020
Bought a flashed Titan Ridge card from eBay for my 5,1. Installed OC 0.71 (Martin Lo package) from MacRumors link, and then downloaded Big Sur 11.2.3.

Installed Big Sur on a separate drive using OC and booted successfully.

Then added the Titan Ridge card in Slot 4, and connected my Radeon 580X to the TR card (a pass through cable which sits outside the machine).

Then plugged in my Apple Thunderbolt display which has a TB2->TB3 adaptor.

Success!

However the USB ports on the back of the display are not recognised.

dbnolen

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2022
Aptos, CA
I have a Mac Pro 4,1 with 5,1 firmware, vanilla Mojave 10.14.6, and an AMD Radeon HD 7950, which provides a boot screen and progress bar when I boot. I have installed Opencore 0.8.7 on a standard SSD. This has successfully activated my Gigabyte Titan 2 Thunderbolt card. Using an Apple TB3 to TB2 adaptor I have attached an OWC TB2 Drive Dock with two SSDs and these devices are available after boot.

However, when the Mac wakes up from sleep, even if it's only a few seconds, there are notifications on the screen that the two SSDs were removed without being ejected and are no longer available. They are also not visible in Disk Utility. Rebooting recovers the drives.

I suspect that setting Screensaver and Sleep to Never will solve this problem. It looks like something is timing out that shouldn't.

Any suggestions?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have a Mac Pro 4,1 with 5,1 firmware, vanilla Mojave 10.14.6, and an AMD Radeon HD 7950, which provides a boot screen and progress bar when I boot. I have installed Opencore 0.8.7 on a standard SSD. This has successfully activated my Gigabyte Titan 2 Thunderbolt card. Using an Apple TB3 to TB2 adaptor I have attached an OWC TB2 Drive Dock with two SSDs and these devices are available after boot.

However, when the Mac wakes up from sleep, even if it's only a few seconds, there are notifications on the screen that the two SSDs were removed without being ejected and are no longer available. They are also not visible in Disk Utility. Rebooting recovers the drives.

I suspect that setting Screensaver and Sleep to Never will solve this problem. It looks like something is timing out that shouldn't.

Any suggestions?
Only the SSDs won't work, or the whole Thunderbolt card won't work (after sleep)?

e.g. AFAIK, if you have a Link Status like this after wake from sleep. The TB card won't work.
Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 9.32.55.png

If just the drive is invisible. Re-connection them physically, or use a software call "Jettison" may help.

dbnolen

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2022
Aptos, CA
I've tried pulling the TB cable to reactivate the drives. No luck. I have no other TB devices except a Apple TB monitor. I'm waiting for Gigabyte to confirm how to get my video to the TB card to check it. I may need to connect the miniDP port(s) on the 7950 to the TB card before it will output video. No cables available at the moment.

thohahente

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2022
Hello. I think my issue aligns with this thread. I don't see a resolution here. I have the dock connected with Thunderbolt 3 cable to the Titan Ridge devices connected to the USB ports of the dock. I have an ethernet connection to the main router from the dock. On the other TBolt port I have a new UA Arrow audio interface. All devices worked and appeared in the system information screens including 10/100 USB ethernet connection. I did a restart last night and now I can see the Titan Ridge under Thunderbolt, it is working. It charged my iPod. I can see the Arrow and the dock as connected under Thunderbolt. USB 3.1 lists nothing. I don't see anything connected under the dock through 3 devices are connected.

I have done a deep reset on a reboot. Power off and disconnected the power for some time, then reconnected, and did another deep Pram reset, checked all the connections and confirmed the wiring is all TB3 or TB4.

Any suggestions gladly received.

Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1. 64GB Ram, 2x 3.33 GHz 6 core processors, 4 HDD total 7TB Sapphire Pulse RX 580 GPU, PCIe NVM express SSD 1TB, Kenvi PCIE T919 bluetooth/wifi, Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2 flashed, CE-LINK TB3-Dock03.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 2.43.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 2.43.07 PM.png
    317.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 2.40.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 2.40.44 PM.png
    347.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 2.40.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 2.40.28 PM.png
    326.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 2.40.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 2.40.09 PM.png
    534.2 KB · Views: 41

thohahente

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2022
Problem solved. The Dock is sensitive to the cable from Titanidge to the Dock. Went through 4 TB 3 and 4 cables with reboots each time. NowI have full functionality including hot plugging devices into the dock.

Reactions: HyperX7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.