help opening a .exe file

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
lost angeles
i have a .exe file that i want to open, but for some reason when i click on it, it opens with toast and then it says toast is not able to open it.
then i highligted the file and "got info" it says that it defaults to toast, but when i search to see what other applications i can open it with, i dont know which one to pick.

any ideas how to run this file?

thanks!

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Solution to problem

Go buy a cheap PC - exe are windows executable files

:)

808 said:
i have a .exe file that i want to open, but for some reason when i click on it, it opens with toast and then it says toast is not able to open it.

is there a way i can run this app without it openning in toast?

thanks!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Short answer: Get a PC.

Bit longer answer: That's (probably) a Windows application and cannot be executed (you get it?) on a Mac without running some sort of Windows emulator, like Virtual PC.

Edit: Bugger, beaten again... ;)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If it's a self-extracting archive, there are some apps that'll open it -- can't remember at the moment.

If it's a PC/Windows application, shake a leg and go find a PC/Windows to run it on.

Or buy Virtual PC or something similar.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
Ummm, ur on this forum and you don't know you can't open .exe files on a mac???

That's why people buy macs... becuase they can't open .exe files. This is the reason that very few viruses effect Apples. You should know this, I don't care if you switched........

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Jedi128 said:
Ummm, ur on this forum and you don't know you can't open .exe files on a mac???

That's why people buy macs... becuase they can't open .exe files. This is the reason that very few viruses effect Apples. You should know this, I don't care if you switched........
Be nice to the newbies, you probably didn't know anything about Macs when you first got one, either... Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people...eh...answers... Now s/he knows, and while smiling a bit of these kinds of question is understandable for an experienced Mac user, there's no need to be too harsh... ;)

Edit: He-he... the profanity filter doesn't like the word I chose for "half-supressed laugh", derived from 'snicker', didn't consider that the 's' was followed by the N-word.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
250 for crappy virtual pc, or 399 for a cheap PC that'll run virus files... i mean, .exe files all day long (or until the machine craps out).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.