Help Opening Ports!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Charliekid21, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Charliekid21 macrumors regular

ok i have leopard and use ichat alot. The only problem is i cannot video chat or audio chat with anyone not useing mac os x. I am using my friends wi-fi right now and it works with everyone so i am sure that it has something to do with ports being closed. It is a netgear router and has wpa 2 security.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

www.portforward.com is a great resource to open ports. You just click via router brand and model, operating system and program your using and it walks you through it with pictures also.

Good luck.

3. Charliekid21 thread starter macrumors regular

thankyou sooooo much!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

You could consider enabling UP'n'P on the router.

5. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

Your very welcome. If your still having trouble, do let me know and I'll try and help you as much as possible with screen caps (although I'm using Linksys router). :)

6. Charliekid21 thread starter macrumors regular

for now im just gonna follow what she said and if that doesnt work ill try and figure out what that means haha

7. Charliekid21 thread starter macrumors regular

ok well ill probably start on it in about and hour or 2 when i get home.

8. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

LOL, no problem.

If you do decide to use it...

In the Netgear router configuration web page, is an option called "Enable UPNP" which effectively allows an application to negotiate a port or ports for the router to open. Its literally, click the check box, then hit Apply. iChat or any other application savvy enough to use UPNP can then dynamically open ports on the router for use with that application for the duration of the application life. (how long it runs for). These ports are closed once the application is closed.

...and to fend off any possible nay-sayers, I wont get into a debate over the safety of enabling UPNP. I suggest reading up and pay a visit to Steve Gibsons site. :)

9. Charliekid21 thread starter macrumors regular

alright well thanks for the help again and i think im gonna do this.

10. Charliekid21 thread starter macrumors regular

ok i really need some help because this didnt work!!!

11. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

Did you do what I linked you to? Have you set up a static IP at all?

12. Charliekid21 thread starter macrumors regular

no i didnt do the static thing but is there another way to do it that might be easier?

13. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

Well if you want to open ports you need to specify an IP address and it's not a good idea to leave the Airport to auto obtain IP address as it might be a 'auto' different IP once you have opened specific ports kwim?

Anyway, first of all you know how to login to your router yes? It's either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 (unless you have changed it) so remember your router number and let's say for the sake of this example yours is 192.168.0.1 you change your IP address from that end bold to 101 for your computer and 102, 103, 104 and so on for subsequent computers. So in theory the first computers IP address would be 192.168.0.101 OK?

To set the IP address to to system preferences then Network. Then click on the airport tab on the left (if not already selected) make sure it is unlocked then click advanced. Click on the TCP/IP part (second on the left) and on the configure ip4 dropdown choose 'Using DHCP with manual address' the the box below (IP4 address) manually enter your IP address (we talked about that above.) In subnet mask type in the following 255.255.255.0 and in router type in whatever your router address is, remember that's the address you put in the address bar when you want to connect to the router. I personally have left everything else as is. Click OK.

It will briefly disconnect you from the internet while it changes the IP's but should be back within 30 at the most. If your offline after that then something went wrong. If it does go wrong it's easy to put back, just put the automatic settings back in and OK it and it will be back as was and we can go through it again if that's the case.

I'll leave you to digest that before we talk about port opening. Feel free to add me to MSN if you have any problems at all (if you have MSN).

14. Charliekid21 thread starter macrumors regular

ok well ive already opened the ports for 192.168.1.6 but i just need a way to keep this ip adress at that. sorry if i sound like an idiot but i really have no idea what u said. i know how to get into my router and all that because i already set up the ports

15. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

You should think about using DHCP with reservations, again, that all comes with the Netgear routers and makes port forwarding easier and faster. Too many issues with static addressing as suggested above. Give me a yell when you get stuck :)

16. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

OK so you've set 192.168.1.6. No problem.

All we need to do then is do the following...

1. Click the apple button at the top left
    2. Click system preferences
    3. Click Network

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I've never ever had any problems with static IP addresses on any of my computers. I do it with all of them as I have 8 things that access the internet and prevents conflicts in my case)

17. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

...wait until you administer close to 93,000 hosts on a global network ;)

18. Charliekid21 thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks for all the help but this didnt work at all it just says that i am not connected to the internet and i had to turn it back onto automatic =(

19. Charliekid21 thread starter macrumors regular

ure turn to help =)

20. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

I can tell you why that didnt work. DNS. Its having to manually fiddle with all those pieces that isnt necessary. Thats one thing DHCP takes cares of. You can route, just not resolve. e.g. if you were to surf to http://64.233.167.99 you would see the Google page.

Anyway, to get this happening for you, can you tell me the model of your Netgear router and I'll put together a configuration page with screenshots for you.

21. Charliekid21 thread starter macrumors regular

WPN824v2